1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

obesity - wheat link

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sebedina, Nov 13, 2015.

1. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I find it so difficult, as I am so busy and frequently don't plan my meals. So I end up eating school dinners, including wheat based meals, pasta, wraps and whatever else there is (fish and chips). I never eat the puddings, although I sometimes have the jelly.

My weight has gone up and up and now I am obese and feel horrible. I just diet. I read "wheat belly" recently and it was a lightbulb moment, i've noticed when i've eaten wheat I eat 3,000 calories a day on average.

I know I am over-eating yet can't stop, as I get genuinely hungry. Has anyone found a similar link? How do you plan/what do you do to lose the weight. I have lost a great deal of confidence.

2. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

What I meant to say is that I have tried a normal "diet" of calorie counting but on the days i've had wheat i have found it impossible to stick to the calorie count of 1,500-1,700.

Has anyone succeeded on any particular plan?

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

What about eating more salads, veg and chunky soups? Cut out bread, pasta, cakes, biscuits, wraps etc. Easier said than done in cold weather, though.

4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

My partner used to blame carbs especially bread, pasta and rice for his weight gain - he had a sedentary job and rarely exercised. Since changing career to one that is very active and outdoor based, he has lost two stone and still eats plenty of wheat based foods.

5. OnlyOneOpinion

OnlyOneOpinion Occasional commenter

You mention wheat belly. Is most of the weight going to your belly? A lot of wheat can also cause IBS which in turn causes bloating in the belly. Maybe the answer is to very gradually cut down on your wheat intake and see if there's an improvement.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Eat low carbs, high protein. I'm like you. I love bread and pasta and find it hard to resist one more slice or spoonful. If I have fish or meat with green veg I feel much more satisfied and the weight stays under control. Look at the Scarsdale diet.

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It is not so much what you eat but how much you eat that piles on weight. Sensible quantities will keep your weight at a reasonable figure (no pun intended).