1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

oban fireworks fiasco

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sel_chick, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Despite being a technical fault, that show was (probably) better than the local 30 minute show was here.
    I didn't actually bother going (again) this year (thank god for having the dog as an excuse) - I'm basing my presumption on what I saw 2 years ago.

2. I wish I'd seen it for real! I just love firreworks- Oban made my childhood dreams come true :p

3. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Well, I'm sure that was worth the 30 minute wait in the damp and cold - if our local experience is anything to go by...

4. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Oh, those poor people who planned the display! Can just imagine how awful they must have felt- and all the children scared or disappointed [​IMG]
    Sorry- obviously feeling a bit sentimental this morning. I blame excessive Ofsted.

5. Heavenly! No stiff neck from spending 30 mins looking up! Maybe this should be an option in future - some displays do the traditional 30 min show and others bang 'em all out in a minute. I know which I'd choose!

6. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Leeds Castle in Kent I hasten to add, is surrounded by a huge lake on which live very many swans both white and black. They have a huge firework display each year to which I took my nieces some years ago. We waited for a couple of hours in the calm darkness of nightfall and then the display started. A huge cannonade of sound and flashing started the display.
    Immediately several hundred swans that had been nesting all took simultaneous flight from the lake and at low altitude across the assembled throng of people who were all staring into the darkness above. The swans decided to relieve their fear by performing an awe inspiring en masse defecation upon assembled throng, still gazing upwards waiting for the next fireworks.
    Truly a night to remember. Imagine mother of said nieces face, as Uncle Richie returned the cherubic ones to the bosom of their family so adorned x

7. Oban councillor just been on Radio Scotland. The company are coming back to do a free display at the end of November to make up for it! I agree though, the 50 seconds looked fantastic, the noise must have been amazing.