1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oatcakes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by huevosrancheros, Dec 13, 2011.

1. I eat a fair amount of oatcakes and was disappointed to find this wasn't a biscuit-orientated discussion.
    I like cracked black pepper ones and I also like the olive oil ones, which are supposed to be better for you than palm oil.
    The worst ones I've had were Rick Stein ones, which were full of sugar. I think he's stopped making them now.

2. http://www.allotment.org.uk/recipe/77/recipe-for-north-staffordshire-oatcake/
    Proper oatcakes! As anyone who saw Bill Bailey in Stoke recently will know, cheese is the only correct topping!

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

They **** you up, your mum and dad.

4. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

5. Oatcakes........with stovies. Mmmmmmmmm

6. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

The big question is fine ground, or coarse ground oatcakes.....
    B x

7. I've never understood cheese oatcakes.
    Cheese is what you have with them, not in them.

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Leek Oatcake Shop
    2 Haywood Street
    Leek
    ST13 5JX

Tel: 01538 387556

9. Leek oatcakes would be even worse than cheese oatcakes, in my humble opinion.

10. They give me really bad headaches!
    I love coarse-ground oatcakes...often eat them on their own. Love their grittiness. Good accompaniment to wine

11. [​IMG]

12. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

[​IMG]
    Just wanted to say

Thank goodness you aren't a teacher!

13. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

that was a bit insensitive.

Hadn't you noticed that oatcakes are actually more interesting and nobody cared about the flounce?

14. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

There was a flounce?! I was distracted by all this talk of oatcakes! I will be trying out all the different recipes and delivery options and may report back in the new year.

15. Have you done teaching then eggy?

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think there is some confusion about the Scottish biscuit type oatcakes that Nairns make and the larger pancakey type we get round here. I assume our local ones are the same as the oatcakes from Stoke people are talking about.