1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OAP

Discussion in 'Personal' started by InkyP, Jul 1, 2015.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I called in at the library yesterday and returned my books. As I was browsing the shelves a different librarian called out and asked if I needed any help -

Librarian: Are you choosing for InkyP?

Me: (Assuming the computer had been left open and she was checking it was me) Yes.

Librarian: Do you need any help?

Me: Er...no thanks.

Librarian: I can tell you what sort of books she likes.

Me: I am InkyP, I am choosing for myself!

Librarian: Oh sorry, the system has flagged you up as an OAP! I thought you must be InkyP's daughter.

While I am flattered, at 60, at being taken for my own daughter I think 60 is a bit young to be flagged up on the system as an OAP as I won't even get my State Pension for another 6 years! Is this the first of many such incidents?

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Have you got a free bus pass?

3. tidal

tidal New commenter

I had to point out to the chemist last week that I wasn't yet entitled to free prescriptions on account of my age and that he really DID need to check my entitlement docs

Naturally I wasn't flattered at all

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I have started telling everyone I'm 60 even though I'm not. Until August.

But yesterday a woman DIDN'T give me the old "Oh, but you don't look it!" rigmarole. I was a bit miffed.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ha ha ! Oh it's so disappointing when that happens! Ive stopped even expecting it anymore.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

No, they come with the State Pension although by then they will probably have been scrapped.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

In London we get a free transport pass at sixty. It's changed my life.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

For heaven's sake, can't OAPs choose books for themselves?

9. grumpydogwoman

Good point.

"So what if I am an OAP? Do I get free tea and cake or something?"

10. grumpydogwoman

Or maybe they'd start suggesting titles:

Wouldn't you like a nice Catherine Cookson? How about books about the war? We've got some lovely recipe books for people with dentures. I see you're 60. Would you like to learn how to use a computer, dear?.........Ouch! You kicked me!"

11. tidal

tidal New commenter

*reminds himself to put down the coffee cup before reading a post from GDW*

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Maybe I should have accepted the help and seen what they chose for me!

13. grumpydogwoman

"Fight Those Wrinkles!"

"Tasty Meals From Tripe"

"A Comprehensive Guide to Eastbourne"

"Incontinence and the Ageing: How To Cope" - there's a companion volume for this (Eastbourne's Best WCs 2014)

14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

There was a feature on stress incontinence on This Morning, last week, I don't know if anybody saw it. The resident GP was giving advice on pelvic floor exercises and wound up the piece by looking straight to camera and saying: "So, if you insert two fingers into your v....a and squeeze...". Philip Schofield's face was a picture.

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Maybe you sould have asked for help in finding their erotica section.

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My old pilates instructor used to ask us to imagine drawing a match stick up inside ourselves - why would anyone do that?

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

One benefit that reaching 60 brings, although I'm not certain it's well publicised, is that it enables doctors to demand if they feel so inclined, that patients they refer for hospital investigation receive an appointment within two weeks.

18. josienig

josienig Star commenter

In January, 2 months before my 50th I was lying in a hospital bed after surgery, not allowed to move from a horizontal position for 24 hours and in tears as the nurse had forgotten, for the third time in 2 hours, to come back to help me into clean clothes, a lovely young physio came to discuss my recovery programme..her first question was ' Are you retired?' I didn't answer..OK,, I suppose I gave a death glare..she quickly changed the question to 'What is your current employment?'

19. grumpydogwoman

Oh, josie! How are you now? Sounds awful.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That's worth knowing. Prescriptions are also free although, thankfully, I haven't needed any yet.