1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oak Academy - Who got the funding?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by DrResource, Jul 8, 2020.

1. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

I've been using the OA resources for some of my lessons and found them helpful in my subject. Have these teachers involved been paid the going rate for their time and effort? Or, has the money gone to the Trust's involved? How did the DoE decide who to give the contracts too?

What I'm getting at, is the money for the benefit of the education of students, or are there some "hidden" leaders making a lot of money out of this?

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/oak-academy-will-create-10000-lessons-for-next-year-with-4-3m-dfe-funding/

2. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

Maybe I'm missing something but the resources seem fairly basic for 4.3 Million?

The Maths content is on Google Forms so it's just free software, I feel like there are much more exciting things going on with established Maths websites like Dr Frost Maths.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Isn't the £4.3m the DfE funding to develop a further 10,000 lessons next year, not for the stuff they've already done?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    nomad likes this.
  4. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

Yes, but I assume it'll be more of the same?

Just seems like they are the ones who got the most publicity, not necessarily the ones with the best content. I'm open to being shown some high quality work from them though.

5. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

I'm unsure how the DoE did the tendering process? Oak Academy suddenly appeared one day.
    I would like to know whether the teachers involved were paid for their work and effort putting these videos together? Otherwise, who has pocketed 4.3 million? I produce my Youtube videos for nothing!!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm wondering @DrResource whether you read the article you posted the link because the answer to several of your questions is there, viz,

The expansion will be funded by £4.34 million from the DfE which, like the £500,000 start-up costs, has been awarded without a tender because it is part of the coronavirus pandemic response.
    Lots of coronavirus-related contracts have been awarded without tender as provided for by the coronavirus emergency legislation.

Nobody has "pocketed" £4.3m yet. It's DfE funding promised over the next 12 months, it hasn't been paid over as a lump sum.

nomad and Pomza like this.
  7. DrResource

DrResource New commenter