1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NZ qualified teacher working for a uk agency need help with my pay rate??

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by shootingstar1994, May 23, 2011.

1. hi, your uk pay scale is extremely confusing and there doesn't seem to be any easy to access resources that tell me what i should be earning?
    at the moment im with an agency and working a position that isnt a day to day relief job but one much more involved (report writing, assemblies, extra duties, school meetings) and i feel as if im getting ripped off as im making about £108 a day and other relievers at the school scoff and say they are making a lot more.
    how do i even go about finding out what i should be on? my agency aren't any help, they get very frosty and i dont want to jeopardize my job prospects.
    please help!
    ive got 6+ years of experience full time classroom teaching (primary) can any one give me an idea of how the pay steps work?
    thanks!!!
    *confused and naive!*

2. Working for an agency you will usually be on an agency rate, which is not linked to the teachers Pay Scale generally. Its up to you to barter with them, you can use the Pay Scale if you want to help barter, but it usually doesn't matter unless you are really helping them out or have a really good rep with them.
    The relevant bits of the UK payscale are pretty easy to understand. It starts on MPS1, and goes up a point each year to MPS6. Then you can go through the Threashold (but this is a whole can of worms, so best not to go there).
    For the Main Pay Scale there are 4 areas - Inner London, Outer London, Fringe of London and the rest of the Country. You can find out which boroughs are Inner/Outer London by googling it, or looking on the TES FAQ website. Fringe is anywhere around the M25 generally, again a quick google will show it on a map. Although the difference to a daily rate isn't huge, especially if you are working for an agency.
    (All the other bits, like SEN, TLRs, etc etc points won't be relevant to you).
    £108 is a little low imho depending on where you are in the country (a friend of mine earnt £81 before tax in Wales)- I made myself a really good repuation at my agency (by doing *anything* they asked me to with a big smile on my face) so then could bargain £155/day (before tax) for a Fringe area when I got in a long term job doing the things you are doing (I would have been MPS 5 if I was in a full time position then). The fact you are doing lots of extras is neither here nor there other than it gives you more ommpf to bargain with.
    So you either keep your head down in order to keep getting work (that depends on what the situation is where you are with regards to supply - in a lot of areas it has dried up completely and you are lucky to get any at all, for any rate), or you front up and say 'I want more money, because I have 6 years experience and I'm doing a lot more' and see what they say. They aren't going to pay you more unless you really shout about it, as obviously the less you get paid, the more money they take home. You might have to call their bluff a bit, it depends how bold you are and how desperate for work you are.
    You can find out the current yearly rates for the pay bands on the TES salary checker (look out down the right hand side of the page) or the TES FAQ website, which has a wage worker outer SS. To work out your daily rate you divide the yearly rate by 195 which is the number of days a full time teacher would work.

3. Try this:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Take-home-pay-calculator-for-teachers-6033382/

4. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

A teacher in their 6th year of service in the State sector (employed by school or Local Authority supply service) would be on £162 per day outside London and the fringe.
    Your pay with private agencies is whatever they can get away with paying you!
    Contact all the Local Authorities whose schools you can easily access and ask if they have a supply register. Some have outsourced to an agency but the agency is not the employer , just the middleman sorting the bookings and timesheets and pay comes from the LA on proper rates. Other LAs have followed a different route and have outsourced completely, with theirnominated agency issuing the payslip.
    You could also contact schools direct with your CV and might get taken on as a Casual teacher if they reckon theycan make enough use of you. They would then get an LA CRB for you and you'd be covered for any other direct work with schools in that LA,submitting timesheets direct to the LA via the school.
    Daily LA supply rate is the annual salary of your designated paypoint divided by 195 (the number of school days)..
    The other issue is that although your are a qualified teacher in NZ, you probably don't have QTS (Qualifid Teacher Status) over here. It can be achieved. You'd get the right advice posting on the Overseas Teachers' forum. In the meantime, you'd be paid on the Unqualified/Instructor payscale by an LA. The top points on that scale are higher than the starting points on the qualified scale.

5. thanks so much everyone, this has helped me out immensley. i am talking with my agent at the moment and it sounds as though she is going to negoitate with the head teacher so fingers crossed.
    she asked me how much i was looking for, and im still pretty confused! haha, but i am going to sit down and go through the links you all posted.
    great to have someone to ask about this without having to burn any bridges!
    :) thanks again!!

6. My own experience as an overseas trained teacher is that uk schools and agencies couldn't care less about any experience that isn't in uk schools. I had to start over from the beginning paywise and until I had my QTS come through schools wouldnt touch me with a barge pole except for supply through an agency.

7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Without meaning to sound rude, why would they? There isn't a teacher shortage here.