1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NZ qualified teacher - what are my chances of getting a job?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by lisros, May 9, 2012.

1. Hi
    I moved to NZ from UK and completed a BTCHLN (graduating in 2010). I am considering returning to the UK but am concerned about my job prospects. (There are no jobs here in NZ so I have only a limited amount of experience gained through relieving.
    I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has returned to the UK or any NZers working in UK.
    Thanks

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

As an overseas trained teacher you do not hold QTS and can be expect to be paid on the unqualified scale if appointed anywhere. The recruitment climate is not as strong as has been in the UK with many graduates from last year applying this year for posts that come up. Some agencies take overseas trained teachers onto their books for short term and mid term situations, typically in schools that struggle to recruit such as in and around London.

3. Please do not be sucked into coming to this country on the 'strength' of agency promises of 'plenty of work'. This simply not true; see the RateMyTeachingAgency site. Similarly, wihtou a job in place, do not make the journey here on the expectation of finding teaching work, you will almsot certainly be disappointed.