1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NZ job offer, but can we afford to live

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kevinweav, Apr 22, 2019.

1. kevinweav

kevinweav New commenter

Hi, really excited to have accepted a rural secondary job in NZ. It looks the ideal place for our family, great location, attitude to life and opportunities for when our boys leave school. I know groceries are more expensive in NZ and have just been working through some monthly budgeting based on just my top of scale salary coming in to support the four of us (the two boys and my wife). I'm more than a little concerned that the costs and my salary won't add up, and we'll have a difficult time even making ends meet - we do ok here in the UK days out, holidays, etc. Has anyone made the move to NZ recently who could give me some real experience perspective on this. Thanks a lot. I so want to make this work but if we'll be broke that hardly seems like setting our boys up well for their future lives.

2. Sherbear320

Sherbear320 New commenter

Hi,

I moved here 3 years ago with my family pm me. You should be ok on top of salary secondary? Most have school houses so ask. Cheap not the best but will give you breathing space as rentals can be hard to come by.

Sherbear

3. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

A few realities:
    1) There are NZ teachers (have been for centuries) who are not in the same salary category as yours and they all seem to continue to live.
    2) You are moving to a part of the world where they use the $ and are surrounded by islands whose tourist industry attracts the (true) middle to high to the ridiculously high income earners.
    3) There is always a high possibility your wife can get a job which can contribute towards your choice of lifestyle.

Be very clear on your priorities. If it is money, for which your last sentence did state. Then there are other destinations that can do that and very quickly. Best of luck.

4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I had an offer of $100,000 in Australia and we worked out that we would have to really budget tightly to survive. This wasn't in a major city, where we wouldn't have survived at all. NZ doesn't seem to be any cheaper (actually housing seems more expensive) and the wages are far lower.

I guess it's all based on how quickly your wife can start working.

It's true that in every country in the world there are people surviving on one very low salary, but whether you would want their lives is a different matter. If you're moving to the other side of the world to live in a council estate and never leave the house, what's the point?

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I am going to be even more foolish than usual and stick my silly old head over the parapet, even though I will probably get it shot off (again). No, I have never lived in NZ and therefore the information that I am passing on is second- (or even third-) hand. However, that does not mean that you should ignore it completely and you can do your own research on the Internet and you will discover that my information is more or less correct.

NZ is an expensive place to live because of high property prices. Chinese buyers have pushed up the prices so much that the NZ government has introduced legislation to stop foreign buyers from pricing everyone else out of the market. So far, this does not seem to have had much effect and of course the Chinese usually find a way to get round these restrictions. Secondly, and more worryingly, teachers in NZ are badly paid and that is why they have been on strike recently.

Mrs Hippo and I do have some dear friends in NZ and they love living there. It is a beautiful country and a great place to bring up your children, but not on a teacher's salary.

On the whole, I would agree with T0nyGT. If you have a large pile of cash saved up, then of course you could afford to buy somewhere nice to live in NZ and then the modest salary would not be a problem. If you haven't, then I am sorry, but perhaps teaching in the Land of the Flightless Bird might not be a good idea.

T0nyGT likes this.