1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NYE party - shoes off in the house?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by potplant, Dec 31, 2010.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Don't see what that has to do with basic politeness in other people's houses but hey - good for you if you were happy with the end result of all that therapy. [​IMG]e

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Time to lighten this thread,I think.
    I hope you can all see why removing my footwear would spoilt my outfit:

[​IMG]

3. Ah. The drip-feed, guilt-trip by stealth approach.

Sorry about all that - it sounds sh*t.

But I still think the whole being yourself at any cost thing is overrated. And often ill-advised.

4. Very good Catmother.

5. your skirt is a bit long.....

6. lol! yes, the boots do set it off nicely catmother!
    You can keep them on in my house - just don't fall over the rug - it likes eating stilletos!

7. You know, catmother - that's sort of how I pictured you anyway. :)

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I never knew you wore your hair in a bob!! I always thought you were blonde too.

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

choosing a cream carpet knowing that you are going to invite people to remove their shoes is going to limit your house's utility. My MIL for one would never remove her shoes because she is dreadfully embarrassed by her bunions. I could by cream but I have oak and persian carpets instead partially because I value my relationship with her.

10. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

But smoking is a habit/ addiction, the wearing of shoes is not. I would not feel comfortable if I turned up at someone's home and were expected to remove my shoes. As I said, I do so in my own homebut it's a choice and much as I wander barefoot I would never ask a guest to remove their shoes, if they chose to I'd be happy to think that they felt comfortable enough in my home to do so.
    May I also make the point that because it is my wont to wander barefoot in my own and others homes I also tend to notice the greasy, animal feel to carpets that some homes have. I have pets and have no objection to them but having encountered "animal" carpets it was almost enough to cure me of my barefoot habit!
    Who knows what else lingers in the pile!xx
    [​IMG]

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

add you own punctuation as I seem to have forgotten much of it.

12. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

This seems a bit harsh, Bauble! I think the OP was simply meaning that she regretted that her question had led to some quite unpleasant exchanges. I'm sure she thought it seemed like a fairly innocuous question, not one which which might prompt a poster to bring up their mental health problems.

13. I found the discussion interesting ... The bit in the middle detracted but was TES as we know it

14. It is my new year's resolution to be be harsher than HBF.

15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

And failed already.
    Bad luck old chum.

16. oi!!! stop hijacking the thread.

17. It certainly was a harsh reply!!!

What I meant was that we politely asked people "do you mind...." and everyone was more than happy to. In a way it made for a more informal get together, one or two even commented that they appreciated the opportunity to walk around in bare feet!!

18. Awwww ... How sweet

19. As for the why you would choose cream carpet things... believe me, if I'm picking I'd have anything BUT cream carpets - however the last place we rented, and the place we've just bought came with them and there's only so much you can cover wtih rugs (and the carpet's relatively new and a really good quality one so it's pointless replacing it yet). And yes we've got doormats front and back and tend to use the back door only (mainly cos the lock on the front one hates me) so the kitchen laminate catches the worst of the mud, but still we try desperately to avoid shoes on in the house. Long term we'll swap to laminate and rugs in the lounge - but for the moment we want to keep the place looking nice for as long as possible - I see nothing wrong in that.
    We also have cream sofas (inherited from someone) - throws are a wonderful thing when you've got a cat that lists sleeping on the couch and shedding fur as her two major hobbies.

20. In your op you asked "is it unreasonable to....." after much debate, a few histrionics and a bit of ******** you post "well we did it anyway". I fail to see the point of the thread if it was your intention to do it all along other than to open a debate.