1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NYE party - shoes off in the house?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by potplant, Dec 31, 2010.

1. call em all this afternoon

I would want to know so I could bring something clean/spare to wear

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I would think it strange to keep my shoes on indoors.

Is it the sort of occasion where people will have spent £100 on their outift, or just turn up in whatever they happen to have on?
    I think it makes a difference.

3. I was about to mention doormats! Don't seem to see many of those these days.

Don't like the idea of 'sharing' slippers though.

4. You would check the state of their feet first, obviously, for verruccas, etc.

5. Now you've started me off...all those bare feet all over the carpet all evening...yuk! :)

6. Hmm there is that aspect - some people can't stand seeing people in bare feet.....

7. ..and some people hate baring their feet for all to see. I think I'd like to be warned so that I could bring something alternative to wear.
    As for not attending because it would spoil an outfit, well, I think that's a bit weird, personally. I suppose if it's a 'posh' do where you may not be that close to anyone there, and you might be going all out to impress, then I just might understand, but if it's a gathering of friends, then surely spending that time with those friends is the priority?
    As always, just my opinion.

8. *tries very hard to dispell image of gorgy checking guests' feet for flaky skin and unatural growths*

9. If I was asked to remove my shoes I'd feel that you thought a bit too much about your material stuff and not enough about your friends! Yes, it is a sign of bad breeding to ask, a bit of a symobol of 'nouveau richesse'.
    You know your friends, though, perhaps they are fine about that sort of thing.

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

When round at other peoples houses I always ask if they want me to take my shoes off or not. Doesn't bother me. We never wear shoes in our house and I prefer barefeet. When people visit us we would prefer if shoes were abandoned at entrance, but unless someones shoes were dirty, we would never ask people to remove their shoes. If they offer to remove their shoes, we say 'thank you'.
    We once had a friend round who was visiting for the first time and did not realise that dogwalkers leave dog poo on the grass out front. The only direct route to the house is to gingerly step and mind yer feet. He traipsed dog poo all through the house until we smelt it. He was mortified. He always just takes his shoes off at the door now.

11. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

This question reminds me of the episode of 'Sex and the City' where Carrie is asked to remove her shoes when entering someone's party (the shoes in question are $485 Manola Blahniks!). She does so and, during the party, the shoes are stolen.
    The quandry....who is responsible for replacing the stolen shoes?

(By the way, I appreciate that it's ludicrous to wear shoes worth that much, but these celebrities will wear expensive items...."

12. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I hate shoes or slippers and go barefoot around my own house and garden whenever possible. When I feel comfortable with a friend I ask if they would mind and after that make myself comfortable in the same way. Spoiling an outfit is not an issue for me, I am most comfortable barefoot and care little as to the "look" of an outfit.
    HOWEVER......should I be asked to remove footwear upon entering someone's home for a party I would think it the very height of bad manners. I would comply from respect but leave as soon as possible so as to feel comfortable in my own home barefoot as opposed to uncomfortable in someone else's home barefoot...if that makes sense?xx

13. I can't help feeling sorry for those guests who turn unprepared for this. You know how it is, the only decent pair of tights7socks you can find has a hole in the toe, but it doesn't matter, noone will see. Or you don't bother to repaint your chipped toenails because you'll have your shoes on anyway.
    If you either know your guests well enough to know that they won't feel ucomfortable with this, or you know them well enough to not care if they feel uncomfortable, then go ahead. I personally wouldn't want to put guests in that position without at least warning them first
    (And to be perfectly honest, if I had a fancy carpet I'd be more worried about food and drink being spilled. Bare feet would be just as effective at grinding volauvent fillings into the carpet, I think.)

14. Shoes off in our house. I make it clear to guests too.
    I also ask others when I go to their houses if they wish me to remove my shoes.

15. Exactly what I thought of too.
    Convert to Islam before this evening and then they can't argue about it.

16. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

When you say you make it clear, is that made clear along with the invite or when they turn up? I think there are degrees to "making things clear".xx

17. I have shoe racks near the door. I take my shoes off and ask my guests to do the same.

18. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

so you impose your self upon them?

Turning your house into a womb is peculiar, floors are for walking on. Is it a control thing? Do the people that make their houses awkward to access have issues with powerlessness outside the home?

19. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I personally hate wearing shoes and take them off and every opportunity anyway, even in the classroom!
    That said, should my guests wish to keep their shoes on, I don't ask them to remove them (the exception being when it was really snowy and shoes were soaking wet with snow, leaving puddles everywhere if you stodd still for a couple of minutes).

20. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I can't imagine anyone doing that.
    surely anyone attending a function would be careful of their imprint?