1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NYE party - shoes off in the house?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by potplant, Dec 31, 2010.

1. We're having a few friends round tonight, is it unreasonable to ask them to remove shoes? Only thinking about carpets and all the grit from the frost out there!~

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Your house, your rules.

3. Not unreasonable, no.

4. Especially if you've got snowy slush outside - totally acceptable. I ask people to in here - but that's because we've got cream carpets (bane of my life)... generally if people walk past the shoe rack on the way in and clock me wearing slippers (I've got about 5 pairs on the go) they take the hint themselves.

5. Yeah that's pretty much what I think, at home we are always barefoot/in socks, just concious that it might not be the same for everybody and so seem a little rude!!

6. The do I'm going to tonight is in a house that's just had real oak floors installed downstairs. My outfit requires very high heels. Quandary.

7. Take them off when you get there!! :)

8. Simply bad form to ask a guest to remove their shoes. It is a sign of bad breeding. However a well bred guest will always offer to remove their own shoes out of respect for their host.

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Your shoes should be fine, oak has the highest impact resistance of any standard flooring timber (excluding bamboo which is rare) It is possible that they have used an acrylic varnish which is not so hard wearing.

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I threw my toys out of my pram on Boxing Day when MrCatmother informed me that his brother, who was hosting this year's family gathering,had requested "no shoes" as they've just got new carpets put in. My husband had forgotten to tell me about it when he got the email and I got annoyed as it spoiled the outfit that I was planning to wear which required boots to be kept on. Therefore,I did what every normal woman would do and stayed home!

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Shoes can be lost later in the evening but when your guests have bought new dresses you cannot tell them to walk around barefoot. it would be like not wearing makeup or not doing your hair, the footwear is a VITAL part of the look. If your floors are that precious don't have a party I say.
    I haven't had a party for a few years. At the last one i spotted a guest spilling some wine and then rubbing it into the carpet with his shoe. He's now in prison.
    Not for the wine rubbing incident I add but it tells you something about the man.

12. I am mortified when my husband expects people to take their shoes off in our house (well stares at their feet until they feel they must). Guests should be made to feel welcomed in your house and I don't think being made to walk around in stockinged feet is a way to make people feel that. Carpets/floors can be cleaned. If someone decides to take their shoes off then great, if not, deal with it in the morning.

13. Personally, I don't care whether people wear their shoes in my house or not - I'm just not that house proud. However, I am really confused by people who are so concerned that the 'look' of their outfit might be compromised that they would upset friends or family about it or not go to their party at all! I'm flabbergasted that people are actually that precious!

14. OP

Are you letting them know in advancevso they can bring their slippers

Is it a casual pals do

If the answer to either of the above is yes, then sure ... NP

15. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I think it's a bit odd to ask people to remove their shoes. Would you ask them to remove jewellery because you found it offensive? It seems to me to be rather rude to ask guests to remove footwear. And if I went somewhere and was asked to take my shoes off, I wouldn't be able to relax for the rest of the evening, because I'd be worried in case I dropped food or spilt wine on the precious floor coverings.

16. I think it's rude to ask your guests to remove their shoes. Carpets should be more than capable of withstanding shoes. I have been asked to remove shoes before and I found it quite insulting. I have had guests offer to remove their shoes at my home and have been shocked that would think it necessary. Where did this come from from? It certainly seems to be a more recent trend.

17. I've always done it at my grandparents' house since when I was old enough to be able to untie my shoes on my own!
    I suppose it depends on the company and whether they would take offence to it or not.
    I have a shoe rack and nearly always my guests take their shoes off without me asking, just because it makes them feel more comfortable and not as though they are about to leave again, but I usually ask if they would mind putting their shoes on the rack - keeps the place tidy!
    JSY x

18. If I were asked to take my shoes off and/or put them on the rack I would do neither as I would be on my way to the car. Friends aren;t there to keep the place tidy, they are there for you to enjoy their company. How unwelcoming. I almost always take my shoes off anyway though.

19. It's family and close friends, hadn't thought of the advance notice thing - guess it's a bit late now!

Certainly don't want to offend people though!

20. Have you got some spare slippers? You could have a box by the front door and ask "What size do you need?" before they get in. You come over as a very gracious hostess but leave them in no doubt as to your expectations.
    Have you got a spare doormat? You could greet everyone by saying "I have put an extra mat by the door, look. as the weather is so awful, and I really couldn't ask everyone to remove their SHOES" (pointedly look at said items at this juncture).