1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NVQ- how do these grades compare to GCSE please?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by emmaohwow, Aug 27, 2019.

1. emmaohwow

emmaohwow New commenter

Hi all, as you can tell, I am new to the world of teaching an NVQ course.
    I stepped in late to get our students coursework submitted on time.
    On results day- our students that were taking a level 2 NVQ got a range of results. These were pass, merit and distinction.

Can anyone tell me what each of the three are equivalent to at GCSE. I am obviously assuming that a distinction is a 7-9 (something like that). I tried contacting City & Guilds directly- but nothing yet.
    Thanks!

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

3. emmaohwow

emmaohwow New commenter

Thanks so much straws- I found the pass points in question!

Attached Files:

strawbs likes this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

roughly pass 1-4, merit 5-6 distinction 7-9, but any individual student can only count 2 such qualifications if giving their total number of qualifications. so if for example, the course may be the equivalent of 4 GCSEs, it only counts as 2, nd if that student has passed other NVQs or BTECs as well, they don't count at all.

So, someone with distinction in science, and in music, for example, who needs 5 GCSEs (inc English and maths) to progress to A levels, can't count the NVQs as more than 2 GCSEs even if they are supposedly worth 2 each.

So, if she has English (5), maths (5) Science (equivilant 2 GCSEs) Distinction and music (equivalent of 2 GCSEs) distinction, this person has 4 GCSEs, and is likely to be turned down for A level.

This is a constant source of friction in enrollment, students adamant their NVQs or BTEC are worth whatever, and getting the reply form us that they just don't count.