1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NVQ Assessors/Teaching

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by suzy2803, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Hi All,

Am new to this forum but was wondering if anyone has any experience of becoming or working as an NVQ assessor or teaching NVQ's within a college. I have been a sahm for the past few years and my career background has been working in business and retail. I would very much like a change and have been giving some thought to teaching.
    I'm by no means saying that NVQ assessing or teaching is an easier option (far from it!) but would like to find out from someone who has been there what the works is like and what their regular week entails. There have been a lot of ads in the press recently about FE training and 'pass on your skills'.com was fairly informative - particularly there seems to be a big recruitment drive on this by the government at the mo and I felt the teaching Retail Skills NVQ course could be of interest but would like to hear from anyone actually doing the job or something similar.

Many thanks!

2. Hi
    I am new to this site to!
    I have recently been made redundant (umm not a good start!) but have worked as an NVQ assessor for over 3 years.
    since i have been actively looking i have found that a lot of NVQ Assessor jobs are either paid per portfolio - so you get half the fee when the candidate signs up and the other half when you complete the portfolio. This is great if you only want to do bank/part time and are not relient on set hours per week
    i am a single mum to 2 children and therefore need set hours per week and a job that doesnt take me to other end of country so i can get back for the kids!!
    another way companies recruit are to pay you a salary but you travel around your county to deliever in the candidates workplace.
    i was lucky where i did work that we had a training centre so a lot of candidates came in per week/month... which helps delivering key skills... but i also went out to complete observations.
    you can do your A1 award at college but you need to have candidates - so need to be in a company that will train you to do this.... have a look on some websites, if your past experience is vast you will probably be deemed 'occupationally competient' and they may take you and then u can gain your A1which is a recognised award for NVQ Assessors.
    i absolutely loved my job and am currently doing a 5 day intensive PPTLS course to keep my CPD upto date and to secure work - its a tough market out there at the moment...
    hope this helps a bit, if you want to talk more let me know ill send u my email addy!
    good luck

3. Thanks for your responses - I can appreciate where you are coming from re things being badly specified and wide interpretation. Its difficult to get one straight answer as to the nature of the job or how to pursue a career in FE teaching/assessing in some form or another. Whereas with Primary/Secondary education there are set routes and qualifications, with NVQ's etc it seems extremely vague.

If I were to pursue this route, how exactly does it work, is there a 'curriculum' that each NVQ subject has that you have to cover or are you left to your own devices? Sorry if these questions are obvious but I have no expreience in this field and am trying to get a handle on it considering the lack of info out there.......

4. Hi Susy
    Straight answers are hard to come by as the "experts" often talk total rubbish (but very convincingly). I was not joking - the job sucks and is endless, mindless form filling. If you want a teaching career don't touch NVQ as often there is no/little teaching involved - just box ticking. If teaching is what you want go for an academic subject such as Certificate, Diploma, Foundation Degrees. Even Key Skills may be better delivering Literacy,Numeracy or IT (from next year).
    NVQ "qualifications" involve getting an A1 (Assessors) qual. Your local college should run these. Once obtained, look for P/T or other work and do the V1 (Verifyers) qual. This is worth having (sic) as you will never be out of a job. IV's are thin on the ground (can't think why). One of their jobs is to monitor and observe Assessors working, review each portfolio and provide guidance and training advice, run standardisation meetings etc. With experience you could do the EV award which would see you self employed (perhaps) going all over the country excercising great power and giving forth your views and advice to all whilst you fill in endless paperwork.
    NVQ's are specified by Sector Skills Councils - quangos that write the program standards. These standards can usually be obtained from their websites (or examples of these). They are wonderful documents, often 250 pages, that list all of the skills/knowledge needed to meet a unit / qualification. These specs often contain examples of the paperwork you will need to complete (or at least some of it) If you want an example, email me direct and I will forward an example to you.
    Seriously though - think long and hard before going the NVQ route.

5. Hiya
    It seems whatever advice you ask for, there will be differences of opinions, as with everything, not all jobs are suitable for all....good job they aren't otherwise we would all be fighting for the same job....
    I have come from a leisure management background, into NVQ assessing, into teaching (post compulsory), into NVQ IV'ing and now back into teaching (post compulsory) and I have enjoyed them all....
    As with all of the jobs, there are good and bad things about them...paperwork is enormous...with ALL of the jobs....and the time you spend dealing with everything is always going to be mountainous at the start until you get to know what you are doing and are confident in what you are doing.
    With industry background, it is nice to be able to offer your experiences and knowledge to those that may like to follow in your footstep, as with anything, the more you put in, the more you get out.....
    Don't get me wrong, NVQ's are becoming pressured with targets that you have to hit, but so is teaching, bums on seats, means more money....so both have their flaws...
    The only issue with both job roles, you have to be in it in order to get the qualifications, so it may be worth trying to get some experience in both or trying to get your foot in the door with one or the other and get the qualifications then see what you think, you won't know unless you try.
    The difference to put it plainly would be
    NVQ assessing - one to one tutoring, tends to battle against candidates who may not want to do the work for you and employers that are not that interested, but depending on how you deliver, you are really your own boss and the success stories are great....you do have to be organised and like paperwork, you get less pay, but can get very good bonuses...average holiday but able to take it at any time of the year, thus avoiding peak times making them much cheaper......
    Teaching - group teaching, it is more structured as you have classroom time where you have to deliver the syllabus in the time you are given, however, you may have pupils that are difficult that can ruin it for others and you have to deal with the politics of education...the pay is pretty steady and you get a good amount of time off, but have to take your holidays in peak time which can be expensive...
    At the end of the day, only you can decide.....so good luck
    Tarida