1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nuts.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Make of them what you will.

We used to have a big bowlful at Xmas when we were little and even some in our stockings. We had a pair of ancient nutcrackers that either squashed the nuts to pulp or broke the shell in such a way that you needed a winkler to get the bits of broken nut out. It was a most unrewarding pastime.

colpee likes this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

This sums it up:

[​IMG]

coffeekid, marlin, lindenlea and 4 others like this.
  3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

When we were young, most of the walnuts were mouldy anyway.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

They go stale so quickly. No. Ta. But no.

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

When we were children, we never heard of nut allergies and people suffering anaphylactic shock. Are they a modern phenomenon?

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

In short. Yes.

7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

An ex colleague of mine had a temperamental walnut tree which would produce 7 nuts one year but thousands the next. In a bountiful year he would share, leaving a big box full and carrier bags in the staffroom. Because they were fresh, they were delicious!! The shells were firm but not 'concrete' and were quite easily broken. The nuts themselves were moist, succulent and full of flavour. Those purchased from the shops were and are a poor imitation. :(

Lascarina likes this.
  8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I had a little nut tree and nothing would it bear but a silver nutmeg and a golden pear.

marlin, Dragonlady30 and Mangleworzle like this.
  9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I've been tucking into fresh walnuts from my tree and they're lovely. There's no comparison between them and the dried out bitter shop ones.

marlin and Dragonlady30 like this.
  10. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I have a walnut tree, and the squirrels literally squirrel them away all over the garden by digging holes and burying them. How they know where to find them, I really don't know. I always by a bag of chestnuts to roast on my open fire at Xmas which are lovely with a bit of salt. I was left the chestnut pan thingy with holes in by the old lady who sold me the house.

kibosh likes this.
  11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I love nuts of all kinds, I was the only one in my family as a child who even liked them, I would struggle manfully (boyfully) on with the ancient wobbly nutcrackers searching across the room for edible bits that flew in all directions when I finally managed to crack them.

Don't bother with uncracked nuts these days, they are more expensive and you still get a lot of duds, it does mean that I end up eating far more of them when they are ready shelled though.

anotherauntsally and Lascarina like this.
  12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

They probably have IQs of 157.

13. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I also love nuts. We had an OK nutcracker when I was young but it still took quite a lot of work for me to release my then favourites - brazil nuts (more often than not in bits but no less tasty for that).
    Neither do I and I agree that it's far too easy to end up eating far more than I should.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  14. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Please may I join this I've-eaten-too-many-nuts club? :oops:

15. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

Maybe collectively, although no cat has ever caught a squirrel, but every other sort of rodent around here has been kindly gift wrapped at my door or regurgitated at a later date. So there is not much difference between Stephen Hawkins and a squirrel, interesting.

16. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

I have a walnut tree here too and have been gorging myself. They are delicious when fresh.

RedQuilt likes this.
  17. Mangleworzle

We have a large walnut tree at the bottom of the garden, I've never had a single edible nut from it, they are always soft and shrivelled, it is most disappointing, though a lovely tree.

18. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

The good ones have been nicked by the squirrels then?

19. Mangleworzle

I don't think so, we've been here about 14 years now, I used to think it was good and bad years, I've picked them from the ground, pulled them off the tree and all of them are inedible. Other people in the same area get edible ones from theirs, I think it's just not a good tree for producing eating walnuts. They work as seeds though, the squirrels bury them and the seedlings come up in spring.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Hallowe'en is the traditional time for nuts.