1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nutricious Comfort Food

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Apr 29, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I'm inclined to agree with you, MM. I have two friends who go to supermarkets on a Sunday so they can get all of the "bargains" - by and large they buy ready meals and raw meat they can stick in with a jar of sauce. The jar of sauce meal is seen as "cooking" to them.
    I know that they buy fruit & veg reduced at this price too but I also know that they throw it away at the end of the week because 1) they don't eat it and 2) they don't really know what to do with it apart from boiling it which "is boring". I've made simple suggestions on what they could use it for but I think they just can't be bothered.

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I've bought the pasties before - they taste like soggy cardboard but they were cheap and filling.
    It's not just a case of buying the cheap carrots - the pasties can be eaten immediately. If you have cheap veg and want to make soup - you need cooking facilities - which I didn't always have (the stove had one working hotplate and if that broke it took a week or more for the landlord to get it repaired...the microwave only worked if it wasn't soaked through by water leaking from the bathroom....and my slow-cooker was murdered when the bathroom floor fell onto it!)...you need power for your stove/slowcooker - which I didn't always have (I lived in a place where I needed to feed 3 separate electric meters...and if I only have one &pound;1 coin do i have electric in my room or in the kitchen?)....you need a pot/pan (which I <u>did</u> have but I've known families who shared a pan!)...and you need to know how to make soup (again, I do, many don't )
    I was brought up with an understanding of food/cooking. And for this I feel blessed and thankful. It saddens me that so many people don't know how to make a simple soda bread or scones; that children can't recognize basic fruit/veg that has been grown locally; that children no longer know the joys of blackberrying and eating twice as much as you put in your basket!; that families no longer eat together and talk about what happened during the day; and that people think that cooking is 'difficult'.
    OK, some cooking is tough. But I'm not asking people to make their own choux pastry or start their own stock pot.....well, not at first! Soda Bread/Scones are not difficult - but look so impressive on the tea-table! (I will never forget the pride of having my first loaf on the tea-table!). A simple cake is surely achievable by most with a little instruction? Stew and Dumplings - so comforting and tasty, but again - doesn't take much actual 'skill (even simple dumplings are not that difficult?)
    I think there is an apathy that needs to be addressed. People don't <u>want</u> to cook. They don't want to learn. And increasingly the youngsters aren't interesting in trying 'new' foods.