1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NUT/ NASUWT industrial action - tricky time for Heads

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by transilvanian, Sep 12, 2012.

1. A shame unions are trying to divide schools like this by trying to pitch us against one another, especially at a time when many in education and outside it are alarmed at our government and their attitude to us all collectively. This is a time for unions to work together for once.

2. Indeed. I agree with the concerns the NASUWT/ NUT are raising regarding constant negative press briefings by the government - so it's disappointing that the NUT/ NASUWT want to kick HTs for it. However, at the meeting at our LA between the unions and HR they conceded that the 'No lesson plans handed in' instruction only extended to individual plans created purely for lesson observations, not the more detailed weekly/ session plans which are the defacto lesson plans in most schools. I intend to carry on doing all the drop ins etc that I always do as I can't see how I can get a good picture of T&L without it.

3. The best bit about the job is engaging with children and staff. The piles of paperwork and endless emails and meetings would drive you potty if you couldn't go and get involved around the school. Some days it is impossible to escape the office and I have to protect time to be in classes. Teachers usually like to see us I think and it can be quite relaxed and nothing special seeing the Head escaping from a demanding parent in your book corner!

4. Not sure a supply teacher would find lesson plans in Mandarin much use should the teacher be away ill.

5. Most of my teachers can get their weekly literacy plan onto a side of A4 paper (although some choose to do more because it helps their thought process. As a teacher myself, I did write quite detailed plans for just this reason. So long as any partner/ supply teacher can follow the plan then the level of detail is sufficient, but as others have said, should include what the focus is - along with the main teaching points, differentiation (most teachers can't / don't keep this in their head as some have suggested) and success criteria. Anything less than this would worry me - although if a teacher was getting brilliant results I would assume their planning was effective - but would still question what would happen in their absence.

6. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I would expect my results to go down if I was absent.
    To think that results can stay the same without the teacher in place seems odd.
    Have I got this wrong?

7. Are you talking supply teacher or cover supervisor?
    if a teacher is away ill, is it you want to have a pile of lesson plans ready to hand out to the supply teacher?
    If that is the case, then you ought to prescribe exactly what format you want those plans, and then allow contracted time and resources to create them. Otherwise a lesson plan is a plan for the actual teacher, and surely should be in a form that suits him/her best?

8. In a two form primary like ours, partner teachers sharing the planning (adapting it to the specific needs of their classes afterwards). This reduces workload whilst maintaining rigour - but the plans need to be detailed enough for their partner teacher to understand. Should the teacher be ill or have non-contact for CPD the plans can easily be delivered by a supply teacher. Happily our school union reps met with their members today and unanimously agreed to ignore the action.

9. As an aside, lesson plans etc are technically the property of the school.

10. Even more reason then for those plans, if they're to become like a guidebook, or a manual, or a textbook for more than one person, to be created and completed as part of the 1265 hours of directed time.
    Which begs the question how much time should be allowed to created, say, a days worth of lessons.

11. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Good luck

12. It's clearly up to the individual teacher when they create their lesson plans. It could be in PPA time, or in self directed time. STPCD makes it clear that teachers are contracted to work such additional hours as needed to do the job.

13. Yes, 'as needed to do their job' as judged by observations, not scrutiny of lesson plans. If an institution wants lesson plans in a particular format, and those plans are the property of the institution, then how can it be reasonable to expect the teacher to work an open ended amount of time to supply those artefacts.
    If the lesson plans have to be anything beyond a guide for the class teacher at the time, then pay for it (in resources, particularly time resources), or allow the class teacher to make those lesson plans in any way that suits them,
    You don't say to a chef 'I want a five course slap up meal for a dozen people, and a copy of the recipies afterwards to use myself. I'll give you half an hour to do it, the rest you can do in your own time'.

Landofla likes this.
  14. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

As a class teacher I can say I'll be working to rule. Thankfully I work in a school where none of the issues apply to me so no change really. I've particularly never understood the having to submit lesson plans thing. If I'd submitted my Maths this week, by wed it was completely out of date as Tuesday's lesson didn't go as expected. Any supply teacher covering my illness given a plan by the head submitted in advance would have got no where. If they'd looked at the annotated plan in my room however....do schools who ask for lesson plans to be handed in expect them to be updated daily after AfL? Sounds like a nighhtmare esp in a large school, but if this isn't done isn't it fairly pointless really?

Dont know why unions are saying about 3 obs per yr, as this has recently been abolished....surely that's not working to rule so much as making up your own rule?! I'm an NQT anyway so it doesn't apply to me.

15. goofygoober

goofygoober New commenter

I am a good teacher. I plan my lessons well, but I don't always write it down. OH MY GOSH! No planning? String me up and boil me in oil.
    I'm sure I speak for a lot of teachers when I say that I know what I'm going to teach, and I could write it down, but I'm not going to because it's a complete waste of my time. It's also a waste of the deputy head's time, reading our plan when he doesn't actually teach and hasn't done so for ages.
    Just let me do my job. I am an intelligent person and want to do my best, without being bullied by 'colleagues'.

Landofla likes this.
  16. DaisysLot

In short none of the industrial action, should union members chose to abide by it, actually has any impact on a head teacher or school that already has a firm understanding on what, according to the STPCD, they can and cannot expect of their teachers. Dare I say it, but some are however power hungry and not all that bright.

Landofla likes this.
  17. If a school asks staff to produce lesson plans and hand them in, it is quite within its rights to do so. That is clear under STPCD. Anyone refusing is likely to open themselves up to disciplinary action and rightly so.
    School leaders are there to manage and run their schools. It is not for teachers, or their unions to dictate terms.

18. DaisysLot

Maybe... but you just might fail to be managing a happy, healthy and productive workforce with people who are willing to give you good will when you need it if you do so.

19. See my post above...make sure the right amount of directed time is allocated if you want the plans in a prescribed format, or accept the plans in a format that suits the actual teacher in the classroom even if it is in shorthand, or a few key words, or in Mandarin (etc).

20. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

It is "action short of a strike". It is not, necessarily "working to rule".