1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nut Fee

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Rachael4, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Hope this is the right place to ask this.
    Is it possible to pay the NUT fee monthly? Have just recieved this years subscription and would like to pay monthly now, but can't find any information about this on their website (can never find much on there!)
    I'll try phoning tomorrow, but as they are onyl open between 9-5, not sure if I'll get a chance.
    Thank you in advance
    Rachael

2. Hi,
    Hope this is the right place to ask this.
    Is it possible to pay the NUT fee monthly? Have just recieved this years subscription and would like to pay monthly now, but can't find any information about this on their website (can never find much on there!)
    I'll try phoning tomorrow, but as they are onyl open between 9-5, not sure if I'll get a chance.
    Thank you in advance
    Rachael

3. yes

4. You can pay monthly by direct debit, I do. Is there a direct debit form enclosed with your membership? If you cannot get to the phone, try emailing them.

5. I haven't got a form, there wasn't one sent through, as last year I paid by direct debit but did the whole lot in one. I'll try and phone tomorrow and I'll email as well.
    Thank you

6. nqt04

nqt04 New commenter

Check that you are getting tax relief on your union (& GTC) fees.

7. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

You can offset nine tenths of the NUT subscription against tax (the 10% political levy isn't eligible). If you haven't claimed Union fees and GTC fees against tax before, you can go back 6 tax years. You need to claim for 04/05 before 5th April or you'll lose any rebate due.
    Ask your Union for abreakdown of your payments in each tax year.
    Download the Tax relief form from the GTC website (one for each year you want to claim for), complate and send to your tax office. Again, ask the GTC how much you paid each year (it's been £30 /£33/£36) unless you have kept your bank statements to jog your memory. It doesn't matter that youget £33 from the LA fo GTC purposes: that payment is taxed and doesn't cover the fee that you send to the GTC. The tax relief almost makes up the shortfall as you get back the tax that was deducted from the fee equivalent part of your salary. (ditto for union subs)

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some good advice there.
    This gives me the opportunity to put in my traditional bit:
    Y O U M U S T B E L O N G T O A U N I O N
    Doesn't much matter which one as long as you belong to one. With redundancies looming for some schools, this is now more important than ever.

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!