1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NUT calls for withdrawal of 'Prevent strategy'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

NUT prevent strategy motion: what it actually says

'The National Union of Teachers annual conference has passed a motion calling for the government’s prevent duty to be withdrawn and replaced with new guidance for schools

In a passionate speech at the end of the debate, executive member Alex Kenny called on the press to “read the words on the page” and not use the motion and debate to paint the union and its members as “soft on extremism”.

Here is the exact wording of the substantive motion as it was amended and approved on the conference floor. We hope it speaks for itself.
    '

(SchoolsWeek.co.uk, 28th March 2016.)

Anyone interested on Prevent's impact on young people may visit this site:

[​IMG]

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Watching the TV last night analysing the results of a survey on Muslim attitudes shows that Prevent is pretty pointless because fanatical Muslims do not tell people how they feel about violence - they just go out and do it. The commentator was spot on when he said that proper integration was the key which involves control of the mix of ethnicity / religion which infers we should get rid of all faith schools which promote non-integration.

mandylifeboats likes this.
  3. mandylifeboats

mandylifeboats Occasional commenter

I've just attended INSET about this. When we were asked for things that we associated with terrorists, I offered "male". It was disregarded.
    Anyhoo, the upshot for me was that the vast majority of behavioural traits that may alert us to possibility that a student is being radicalised are remarkably similar to the behavioural traits of the average ar sy teenager anyway. There aren't enough Cause For Concern forms in the world.

lanokia, palmtree100 and Vince_Ulam like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've sat through this training... utterly pointless exercise...

Another example of government unable to actually do anything so passing the load onto schools and then using it as a stick to beat teachers with.