1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery Teaching

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Madspanna, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Hello all,

Just wondering has anyone moved from nursery nursing into teaching? I work in a day nursery that I'm happy at but as I have a degree I'm thinking that teaching early years would be a good move with salary increase etc. I've read a lot of negative comments on here about the stresses of nursery teaching, and it would be good to get some advice! I am also worried that there won't be any jobs at the end of the training and maybe I should stay in my current job which I haven't been in for very long, and the management and support is great. I was also wondering if
    it would be a better option for me to gain the EYPS which I would be able to do with the nursery - does anyone know if this would enable me to teach nursery age?

thanks! x

2. As you wish to become an early years teacher, you would need to gain qualified teacher status (QTS). Gaining this status would qualify you to teach at any level - early years/primary or secondary. As you already have a degree and experience, as long as you have GCSEs at C grade or above or the equivalent in English, mathematics and science, you will be eligible for postgraduate teacher training courses. You can search for early years PGCEs on the GTTR website www.gttr.ac.uk. As well as a placement in early years, you would also need to complete a placement in key stage 1 of the primary sector.
    There is also an employment-based route into teaching called the graduate teacher programme in which you would need to be employed in a school as an unqualified teacher. Have a look at the TDA website for information on the routes to gain QTS. www.teach.gov.uk.
    Should you have made the decision that you only wish to work with children from birth to five years old, then you may choose to gain the EYPS. For more information, please visit the Children's Workforce Development Council website http://www.cwdcouncil.org.uk/early-years/childcare-careers.
    It would be a good idea to speak to some experienced nursery teachers and see if you could shadow them in order to allay your apprehension regarding the day to day demands of the profession. You may also wish to speak to a teaching advocate in order to discuss your concerns. Contact the teaching information line on 0800 389 2500 for more information.
    You can get an indication of the employment opportunities by visiting your local authority's website and educational publications such as www.tes.co.uk and browsing the current list of available teaching positions.
    Places available on teacher training courses are designed to reflect the anticipated number of employment opportunities for the level concerned. You will also find that more teaching vacancies are available if you can be flexible about the location that you would prefer to work in.
    Wishing you success whichever route you choose to take.
    Graham Holley