1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery teacher interview/trial

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ricart17, Jun 22, 2019.

1. ricart17

ricart17 New commenter

Hi everybody!

I have an interview scheduled on Monday and I am quite nervous about the trial part. I had three previous interviews and the trials didn't go as I wanted them to. This time is just a 15 min activity on phonics or maths.

I have loads of ideas but it is really difficult for me to choose. Could you help me out?

I was thinking to maybe have a singing time with counting songs (bringing a box with props to make them guess the song) I don't know if it's too basic. What do you think about it?

2. ricart17

ricart17 New commenter

Another thing that I didn't add is that they want the activity to be with the whole group, 26 children.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

When you say 'nursery', do you mean those about to leave for reception, or younger?

15 mins with all 26 children is a lot to ask to be honest. I have half that number and keeping them all engaged and challenged for 15 mins would be tricky.

Counting songs is great, but they might not be able to guess your song from props...they may not know your song.
    What other ideas do you have? 15 mins is a long time and singing probably won't take much more than 5 mins.

4. ricart17

ricart17 New commenter

Hi and thanks for replying! I mean the children that will be going to Reception. I also thought about reading the story 10 little dinosaurs and then hide dinosaurs around the classroom to have them going on a number hunt. (I would stick a number on each one of the dinosaurs). When they have found all the numbers ask them to sit down on a circle and show the dinosaur they found and see if they are able to recognize the number (would have the numbers from 1 to 26 considering that now they should be able to recognize till 30 approx) And ending it in ordering them in a number line.

I do think that the whole group may be quite crazy so that is why I am quite nervous.

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

It isn't in the EYFS to recognise numbers to 30 and ordering(20) is an ELG for the end of reception not the end of nursery, so I wouldn't go that route to be honest. I also think having children wandering around the classroom might be trickier to manage with 26 of them.
    If you want to focus more on numbers you could certainly do some counting songs that involve the children moving rather than sitting still. Lycra or parachute is quite good for a larger group, but you might want to find out if they have prior experience.

Did you get feedback about your other activities and do you know why they didn't go as you hoped?

6. ricart17

ricart17 New commenter

One of them was phonics in Reception and I've never had done phonics so I wasn't so confident. The next one I had the age wrong so I prepared an activity for Reception and I had children from Nursery. The last one went really well and I had positive feedback and it was a treasure hunt as well.

I was thinking to ask them to sit down as soon as they find a dinosaur. I'm sure not all the children will be recognizing numbers from 1 to 30 and I know is not in the curriculum per se (it only points from 1 to 5 but I feel like is really low and I'm my present classroom I have a big group of children that identify numbers from 1 to 20 and beyond) so I was thinking aim for the most able as well.

Maybe I can stick to numbers from 1 to 10 but I do think that having them moving around is better than having them sitting down for 15 min
    The parachute is a good idea but as you say I don't know if they are used to that so it can be a disaster.
    I was thinking at first to do some songs that include movement but I kind of prefer the treasure hunt to give them some time to wander and after that have them focused again.

Thanks for your points!

7. caterpillartobutterfly

My class, about to go to reception, definitely couldn't recognise numbers past 10. One or two of them can, but most can't. Some can't yet recognise numbers to five. They'd find you a dinosaur happily enough, but wouldn't have a clue about the number. And those who find a dinosaur first, will not be keen to sit on the carpet doing nowt while those slower to find them keep hunting.

If you don't want to teach something new, and I wouldn't necessarily for an interview on a hot day, then look at the 30-50 months part of DM and use ideas from there.

I agree about having them moving around is better than sitting still, but they do need to be learning maths the entire time. A treasure hunt is fine, but have something for them to do as soon as they have found the treasure, so they aren't waiting about. Also have a time limit, so you don't have a few wandering and chatting indefinitely.

Kartoshka likes this.
  8. ricart17

ricart17 New commenter

I get what you say. I guess it depends of the cohort.

I thought to stick to the story, then sing and dance 5 little dinosaurs (like 5 little monkeys) and then have the dinosaurs with numbers from 1 to 10 and a song as a background to ask them to sit down when it finishes. After the treasure hunt I was thinking to create a number line with the dinosaurs. Asking which is the first number? And so on. There would be repeated numbers and they would have to put them in order by turns (when we get to each number) (sorry if I'm not explaining myself too well. I have the idea in my head but it is difficult to explain it)

The hunt is just an excuse to make them move and continue being engaged. I get that the important part comes with the plenary.

I don't know if the song and the hunt is too much. Maybe I'm overcomplicating. Not used to having sessions with whole group as my school doesn't like them and encouraged me not to do them

Thanks again for your ideas

9. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Instead of having numerals, could you have dots (or perhaps dots to accompany the numeral)? That way you're keeping the activity accessible for a greater number of children - a child who couldn't recognise '8' might well be able to count eight dots and would therefore have a chance at working out where on the number line to place the dinosaur.

10. ricart17

ricart17 New commenter

Hi! I've already had the interview. It looks like is a really structure nursery class (they even have proper maths and phonics lessons every day) so my lesson was quite easy and accessible for them. I still have no feedback but will see how it goes. Thanks for all the ideas!

11. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Let us know will you? How did you feel it went? You may decide it's not for you if it's very structured.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

We have phonics and maths most days, but it definitely isn't a structured nursery class.
    You last post of ideas seemed great, but I'd add dots or similar as well.

Hope all went as you hoped.

13. ricart17

ricart17 New commenter

Hi!

They didn't hire me but I think is for the better. I have been shortlisted for a position of Reception Teacher. They just want me to read a story and have an activity (20 min carpet session) There is loads of EAL children and a child with SEN but his own TA to support him. I will have 29 children Again I have a million hundred ideas but I thought it could be nice to read "Each Peach Pear Plum" and continue with a rhymes activity showing them the pictures representing each rhyme and asking them to guess and the sing it together. Is it good for Reception or to Nurseryish?

14. caterpillartobutterfly

Each Peach Pear Plum is fine for Reception.
    And practising rhyming is always useful.