1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery teacher application supporting statement advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by prepm, Sep 14, 2015.

1. prepm

prepm New commenter

Hi Everybody

I'm in the process of applying for a 2 day job share position for a nursery class in the school where I currently do a lot of supply& some PPA. I have completed the online application form as requested (a generic form on the council website) and now have a space for a supporting statement. the advert for the post is very brief only asking for ""a sound understanding of Foundation Phase and commitment to its ethos". I have a lot of experience working in FS age but have only recently returned from living in Australia where I taught Kindergarten. i did train here and taught reception prior to moving overseas. I'm not sure where to start as I'm used to addressing a set of selection criteria , I'm not sure how much to write ,and where to start how do I address the issue of teaching overseas? any advice appreciated please -

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So, what do you have as evidence of your understanding of Foundation Phase? Start jotting things down. What are the most important elements of your teaching this age group?

(Having spent the last few mornings with 3 year olds, I am tempted to say the ability to take 26 children to the lavatory and show them how to wash their hands, and not to mind when they sit on your lap and wee over your clean skirt, but perhaps something different from that?)

What do you hope to achieve for them? And how would you set about achieving this? And how communicate with and involve the families?

Commitment to its ethos - what IS its ethos? What do you do that shows this commitment?

Your overseas experience will give examples too, and that is fine, but do make sure that you are up to date with the latest UK documents on EYFS, and say so in the statement.

Maximum two sides A4, normal size font with good sized margins - don't have a tiny font and teeny weeny margins to get more in!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.