1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery sleeping area

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by paulsara2, Jul 25, 2019.

1. paulsara2

paulsara2 New commenter

Hi
    I teach in a school nursery.(3-4 year olds) Is there a legal requirement to have a separate sleeping area?M teaching assistant who has worked in a day nursery has said we need one. I would let a child who is tired have a rest in the comfy book corner but can't find it in eyfs docs. Thanks

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We don't have a sleeping area and it wouldn't really be worth it for the occasional 3 year old who falls asleep for half an hour.
    Usually they fall asleep at story time, so in the reading corner, or the fall asleep wherever they are and I carry them to the reading corner or leave them, depending on where it is.

Get the mods to move this to early years forum, but I think your TA is wrong.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

No need for separate sleep room for this age. Typically babies might have a quieter room set up with cots but even this is no longer statutory requirement. A quiet space is all that is needed that children learn is a quiet space for those that need a rest or just want to chill.

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I’ve seen Nursery children have a rest after lunch as part of the daily routine - they all had a soft mat to lie on, but they were just in the main Nursery room on the carpet, not in a separate area.

5. oldmoney

oldmoney New commenter

In private, pre school settings in the former Soviet states I've seen dedicated sleeping areas, complete with beds and bedding. Nap time is for at least an hour in the afternoon and most of the children do go to sleep. Also, I can remember rest time on oval raffia mats in the school hall when I was at school. As a teacher "heads down and close your eyes" was a practice. You couldn't do that now.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why not?

I visited a school earlier this year to look at their nursery and reception provision and get some ideas...as you do.

The 2-3 class all had a sleep in a travel cot or on a mattress straight after lunch. Most about 45 mins - 1 hour, depending on parent preference. They did have a separate area in a way, but it was part of the classroom and children used the beds for doll play and so on during the day as well.
    The 3-4 class all snuggled with a blanket they had brought from home, either on a comfy chair, on a cushion, on a bean bag, that kind of place. They just got them all out from the reading corner and settled down. A story CD was put on and they all rested, some slept, for about 45 mins.
    Reception all lay on the floor with a small head cushion and a meditation type CD played for about 30 mins or so. (Apparently year 1 and 2 did the same, but I didn't visit their classes to see.)

Like most things, teacher should do whatever the children need.

7. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Families lead very busy lives these days - in the sense of everyone engaged in a plethora of activities and arrangements every day. I think it’s important that children are encouraged to develop the ability/habit of being still, relaxing and feeling peaceful.

I’ve seen classes of children lying down, closing their eyes and listening to a few minutes of Classical music. It was very interesting to see how some children just relaxed in the activity - and how one or two found this very difficult! The atmosphere in the classroom afterwards was very calm.