1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery routine

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by miss.d, Jun 28, 2011.

1. I've been new to nursery this year so I can't promise that what I am doing is right but....

We have snack available all the time so there isn't a set snack time.

A typical day goes like this:

9.00-9.15am arrival and settling to activities

9.15-11.05 continuous provision with a focus activity taking place

11.05-11.10 tidy up time

11.10-11.25 group time

11.25-11.40 motor skills/PE activities

11.40.11.45 prepare for home or go to lunch for all day children

11.45-12 story time and home time (all day children at lunch)

12.15 - 12.25 afternoon children arrive and all day children return from lunch

12.25-12.40 group time

12.40-2.45 continuous provision with a focus activity taking place

2.45-2.50 tidy up time

2.50-3.10 motor skills/PE activities

3.10-3.15 prepare for home time

3.15-3.30 story time and home time

I think there are lots of ways to plan your nursery sessions. I tried a few different timetables before settling on this one!

2. I have been covering maternity leave in Nursery and this is the routine I took over in January ( I expect it was less structured when they started in September)
    8.45- open doors
    8.45-9.15 - Settling in and continuous provision
    9.15-9.30 - Carpet time, maths focused
    9.30 -10.00 - Continuous provision indoors with 2 focus activities taking place
    10.00 -10.15 Snack time
    10.15 -11.15 - Continuous provision as a foundation unit using outdoor area and reception areas. This is when I usually do observations
    11.15 -11.30 - Carpet time: phase 1 phonics activities in 2 groups
    11.30 - 11.40 - Story time or PSHE activity
    11.45 - home time
    My afternoon group do 12.30 to 3.30 and have exactly the same timings. We don't have any full time.
    Hope that helps!

3. 9.00: Open Doors
    9.05: Register (we do free flow register at beginning of year but are now sitting down in order to prepare for Reception)
    9.10: Continuous provision - Snack is available all through the session and is accessed on a free flow basis
    10.00: Story
    10.15: Continuous provision
    11.20: Tidy up time
    11.30: Small groups (this is where we do our discrete teaching of letters and sounds and PSRN, etc)
    11.50: Get coats, hand out book bags, etc
    12.00: Open doors to parents.
    Then we do it all over again starting at 12.30 - 3.30

4. can i just ask? what do you consider a small group? we are a 39 place nursery and split into 2 groups of 19/20 for some group times, sometimes we have all 39 together, we also have letters and sounds groups of 6 or 7.

5. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

If the ratio is normally 1:13, I would say a small group is between 4-8.

6. 8.55- 9.25am-
    Self registration/continuous provision (On friday come and play for parents)
    Normally use this time to do a small activity with focus group/observations/meet parents.
    9.25- 9.45am (approx)
    Register and then split into two groups for an input (topic dependent)
    9.45-11.15am-
    continuous provision inside and outside.
    One adult inside one outside/focus group activities.
    11.15-11.30am-
    Whole group input (normally singing/rhymes/storysack)
    11.30- 11.45am-
    Whole class snack (Cant do continuous unless I have a student/parent helper)
    11.45-11.55am-
    Star of the day/story/discussion about what we have been up to that day.
    Hometime.

7. Small group is probably not the greatest description. Basically, it is time with the key worker. So at the moment a group of max 10 children. Next year though we are going to 3 key groups so "small groups" will be 13 children. I suppose we call it small groups because it's smaller than the large group which is everyone!
    lol

8. Hi,
    I am also moving to nursery next year so trying to get my head around it all. I have a few questions if you could kindly help me out.
    Do you and your staff have morning breaks?
    What do you do if parents continue to be late collecting children after the morning session as this has a knock on effect with staff lunches?
    Do you do a register on the carpet as in FS or is this asking too much?

Sorry for all the questions.

9. Yes, all staff take a 15 minute morning break. Sometimes, we gather all the children for a story and everyone takes their break then with the person leading story time and the support staff taking their break afterwards. We have a "float" person who deals with general duties e.g. first aid, etc and usually they give everyone 15 minutes break. This is OK but it means breaks have to start at 9.45 in order for everyone to get a break before lunchtime.
    HAHA parents who collect their children late... We do have a half hour period inbetween sessions and there is a TA from school who covers that by setting up for the next session. I usually leave the child with them or take them to the office. It's not nice for the child but at the same time, you have to be very protective about lunch times.
    We register on the carpet from this term onwards but at the beginning of the year it is too much. You have to play it by ear as well. Our afternoon children registered on the carpet from March this year but we didn't introduce it to our morning children until about May. It's when you think the children are ready. But I'd definately suggest doing it before they go to big school.
    Hope this helps x