1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery reports - ideas please!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Harvsie, Jul 1, 2010.

1. As normal at this time of year I'm running round trying to finish my reports. This year I thought I had it sussed and started before half term but yet again am so far away from finishing and it just seems never ending. What do other nursery teachers do for reports? Do you have any simple ideas? Do you use your learning journeys as reports or just do comments etc etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Harvsie

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Does your school use dreary statement banks that are guaranteed to put parents off?
    Do these statement banks include statements of such glaringly embarrassing obviousness that you resent having to include them?
    Here is an example that my school no longer uses:

He knows that he's a boy.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Does your school use dreary statement banks that are guaranteed to put parents off?
    Do these statement banks include statements of such glaringly embarrassing obviousness that you resent having to include them?
    Here is an example that my school no longer uses:

He knows that he's a boy.

4. Hi Inky

The school use the very same statements. Think children r split into 3 groups (top, middle and bottom) then get a pre-selected paragraph depending on which group they r in. I no parents who hardly bother to read them as they r word for word like their brother the previous year. Mine happily r not like that. All 39 r completely personalised which is why it's taking me forever. Couldn't find any set guidelines about reports for nursery and wasn't sure what was the norm so thought i'd post here as always find the answers I need from other posts.
    What do u do 4 reports Inky?

Thanks

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thankfully, it's no longer my responsibility.
    Is there a norm? I hope not!
    Keep on with the personalised ones. You know your children and don't need the crutch of these horrible statements.

I hope you don't do them in textspeak, though! [​IMG]

6. Have had to check a few times as the odd '4' or other text speak has crept in. I do it automatically.
    Will never do bland same old statements , I refuse to. It's not right and I'd rather do it properly than skip corners. Will keep searching for a winder format or idea though. Someone must have an ideal way of reporting to parents? Also how often do people report to parents? Termly?, yearly?

7. Thank you magmac. I think the I enjoy, I can statements are a good idea as you can cut, paste, add, take away the statements for individual children and still personalise it by writing a general comment. Will look at the EYFS and see what I can do. Thanks again