1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery & Reception teachers, when do you start/finish?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by selenafraser, Oct 25, 2019.

1. selenafraser

selenafraser New commenter

Hi everybody
    I am new to this, a recent eyts grad currently looking for my first job in either Nursery or reception.
    I am interested to know what time you arrive and leave your jobs (full time contacts)?
    I have a son just over 2 and feel very guilty about his impending increase of hours at his nursery - its such a long day for him I was hoping I could manage to fulfil a full time contact working max 8 hours a day.
    What do you think?
    Best wishes
    Selena

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

When I was working in England I would often work 7.30 till 4.30/5

If I had nothing I needed to do I would leave earlier or start later. Its all about how you manage your time effectively.

3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Our Reception class teacher is usually in school by 7.45am. I believe she leaves around 4pm but she will then work at home in the evenings too.
    Our Nursery teacher arrives around 8.30am (for a 9am start) and leaves around 3.30pm to collect her little boys from school.

4. selenafraser

Hi, thank you for your reply. My son's nursery doesn't open till 8 so thats an added complication. I'll have to find a job practically next door!

5. selenafraser

Hi. Thanks for your reply, that gives me hope, perhaps a Nursery Teacher would suit better. I wish they wrote the hours on the job ads, save me wasting anyones time

6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

If youre thinking of a teaching post, a straight 8 hours a day in a school full time is probably unrealistic especially early in your career. It's not impossible but highly likely to mean taking work home for the evenings. Then you've got staff meetings and parents evenings etc. Also as an EYT you don't have QTS so less likely to get a teaching role, certainly in a state school, so you'd need to look at independent or academy.

You would be better off either looking for something part time or looking in the PVI sector where you might be able to negotiate hours or shifts.

Or look for a TA role in which case you will have more fixed hours typically 32.5 a week.

robspillane likes this.
  7. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

Yeh that cod be a bit annoying. But don't worry about doing copious amounts of hours. Using your time at school effectively and not doing pointless things that you don't need to do will help you streamline. Also knowing which jobs you can give to support staff etc. Not doing pointless laminating etc. You're going to do a great job.

8. selenafraser

Aww thank you. I really hope so ☺

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

One of our teachers drops his young child off at nursery at 8 and then comes in to school...a five minute walk away.
    And manages to pick her up by 6 most days.
    She does sometimes sit in the office and wait if something comes up or parents evening over runs.

Another teacher drops theirs at a child minder at 7.30, who then takes them to nursery for 8, on three days a week and drops them at nursery himself on the other two days...so coming in a bit later.

If you were a EYP in a nursery school, you could easily work just school hours.
    If you were the teacher of a nursery class, you'd probably need to take some work home if you wanted just 8 hours a day at work.

10. selenafraser

Apologies, I thought I had replied to this on my phone but it seems not to have saved. I had last week, an interview for a nursery teacher in a PVI nursery. At the time I was conflicted as I thought it would be more sensible career wise to start in a school, but now I am praying I get it as it may just solve the problem. Thanks for your help

11. selenafraser

Hi, sorry, this is another post that I thought I had replied to but it isn't showing. Thanks for trying to help. I would be happy to take work home if it meant my son could have a shorter day. I am finding that it is very difficult to capitalise on my new earning potential following my graduation, without compromising my sons routine and family time. Its hard to know what to do for the best :(

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I teach in an independent, so we have longer days.
    In a state school nursery/reception, you could definitely drop your son at his nursery at 8am and then get to work by about 8.15.
    If you leave soon after school on most days, ie by about 3.30 - 4.00, then it isn't a very long day for your son. But you'd need to be doing work at home if you left that early and got in late.

The children in my nursery class, some rising 3s and some rising 4s, are mostly with me from 8.30 - 4.00 and a few from 8.00 - 5.00. They all seem happy and confident, not suffering because of the long hours. BUT there are only five in the class at the moment and will be nine after Christmas.
    For nursery years, definitely look at private schools, even if you don't leave you son there for school years. Just for the smaller staff ratios.