1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery planning-HELP!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jmcclarence, Jan 1, 2012.

1. After spending days googling and trying to get some planning done I have achieved nothing but stress! So this is me asking for some help.
    I have only taught ks2 before and now I have landed a job in an amazing school teaching nursery. Huge change but I know I will be great there and its a dream come true. However, I'm really struggling to get my planning done. The profile is completely different from the curriculum and doing individual subject lesson plans and I don't know where to start.
    Can anyone please please give me an example of how you plan? I don't understand how you hit all of the different strands (knowledge and understanding of the world etc). I don't know the best way to set it out, in the past I always had everything set out.
    I hope this makes sense and I would appreciate any help.
    Jo x

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. Hi Jo,
    This is my second year in nursery and after hours and hours of trying to find the right level of planning - that doesnt eat up a whole day of my weekend to do, but still shows me and any other person who wants to know what Im doing and why im doing it I have found a format that suits me. It is always hard getting your head around someone else's planning but it might give you some ideas/help. My Medium term plan breaks up the weeks roughly to organise the topic. Not too much detail. My weekly plan (and this was the one I had most trouble with because I used to attempt to fill all the areas for every day with wonderful things only to find that the children and/or circumstances developed something completely different.) now consists of ...
    3 columns for each of the 6 areas of learning. In the left hand I copy directly from development matters (30-50 months) in the middle column i write all the possible activities/ experiences that could be done that week. In the right hand common i write the kind of observations that myself or other observers could be looking for. My daily plan is handwritten so i can differentiate for children who are operating at a different level and I can be specific about who needs to do what. I link it to the children's next steps and self initiated learning. it doesnt look pretty but I find it works and it is flexible.
    email me evebatten@aol.com and i'll send you a copy. Regards eve

4. Hi
    your weekly plan sounds great, i would really appreciate it if you could also send me a copy- i'm always trying to find a way of cutting down the amount of time i spend on writing up plans; but never seem to manage it.
    Thanks in advance
    vinceang@btinternet.com

5. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

I too am starting in nursery (as an NQT) and have found planning quite tricky but this is because I am sticking to the old teachers planning format for now until I have a chance to explain my preferred format to the nursery nurses. My preferred method is the one used on my final placement; they had a group time every session and these were mostly CLL or PSRN but would often have KUW and PSED circle times as well; these were organised so that half the children were with me and the other half were with one of the NNs. They would be adult led short (10 mins at most) activities which would then be followed up with small group or one to one activities to assess individual children or provide a more individual approach to the concept used at group time. These were planned using a word document; one column for which Development Matters would be covered (Learning Objectives basically), one column for the group time and one column for the follow up activity. Sometimes we had activities that were on a one to one or small group basis not related to the group time; stuff like cooking would be done instead of a follow up for example.
    Other provision; like what would be available in the outside area, in the water etc would be planned separately; we had a column for all the areas (of the nursery) then a column for what would be in each area then another column for which areas of learning and development would be likely to be met if children accessed those areas; we didn't say which development matters would be met because it would be likely that it would be different for each child.
    The way you hit all the strands is by making sure you vary the activities that are out for the children to access. To be honest I find it easier to plan what I will put out (judged by what the children are interested in) and then think which areas it 'hits' so for example; I did a car wash role play in the outside area on my final placement; this covered- PSED- sharing and turn taking; CLL- talking activities through, signs and labels, writing receipts; PSRN- filling and emptying containers with water, using coins; KUW- learning about different occupations, using the till (toys which aren't obviously ICT can be 'counted' as ICT in EYs I was told!); PD- riding the wheeled toys; fine motor development; CD- developing imaginative play.
    Hope this helps!

6. Thank you all for your replies, you've been very helpful.
    Eve I have sent you an email, that would be super helpful. MissMistoffelees thanks loads for your reply, I dont suppose you have a copy you could email me do you? I know I'm being cheeky but shy bairs get nowt! x

7. Hi
    I am due to start my EYPS training this year after 11+ years as a volunteer and employee. As part of my evidence and outcomes, I would like to improve our planning process to tailor to more individual needs. We find this hard as we are a community playgroup and have a mixed age group 2-4+. Would really appreciate looking at your planning sheets if you have time to email.
    Thanks in advance, louise
    garethlewis@ntlworld.com

8. Hi,

I am starting my PGCE training this september after doing a degree in Early Childhood Education. The uni has taught us to plan but I would love some other examples, just to see what suits me best. Is it possible to send me if you have time.

mappl@roehampton.ac.uk

Thank you!!

9. Sounds good to me! would love a copy too. I'm always looking for better ways to plan.
    Thanks in advance, Diana.
    webb.diana1@googlemail.com

10. Hi, have been reading your post and wondered if you had hit on any good examples.

We are looking at changing our planning to make sure it is matching individual need but don't want this target setting to turn the children's day into anything too formal.
    We have topics and set up topic led activities and ensure all children access these activities, then enhance continuous to keep it varied on top of differentiated CLLD and PSRN and SEN adult focused activities.
    I wasn't sure if this is too restrictive and am thinking myself round in circles.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Tessa

11. MissMistoffelees

Yep will send copies to all! Just as an advisory note; because I'm an NQT I'm still doing quite detailed plans for group times so these plans aren't very detailed as I tend to put differentiation, assessment notes etc on my group time plans.

12. MissMistoffelees

Just had another look through the thread and not sure who was talking to me and who was talking to Eve so let me know if you want a copy of mine! Also, Jo; can you pop your email on here so I can send you a copy please? [​IMG]

13. Hi,
    Please could I have a copy? gem1012@hotmail.co.uk
    I'm also an NQT and wanting to change the planning Im currently doing. Nursery planning and assessment feels like a minefield as there are so many different ways of doing things.
    Thanks in advance, hope you are enjoying your NQT year!
    Gem [​IMG]

14. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

Would you mind if I had a copy too?
    Thanks in advance!
    Elizabeth

15. Miss Mistoffelees, I would also appreciate a copy reference my earlier post. Thanks, Louise

garethlewis@ntlworld.com

16. MissMistoffelees

Sent to everyone who's confirmed they want one of mine and has provided an email address!

17. Could you send me a copy too please. Thanks in anticipation. Hope yor'e enjoying your NQT.<a target="_self" id="mce_editor_0_smiley" class="mceButtonNormal">[​IMG][/URL]

18. Hi,
    I found this discussion very useful, I have posted similar help for requesting lesson planning for Year 3,4 & 5 using EYFS but received no response so far :( .
    I want to plan for above age group for whole year, I am looking for lesson plan for individual day which can be set as a standard lessons for any new teacher join the school to carry similar activity and observation.
    Eve, is there anyway you can also send me your lesson plan copy to my email address which is munawaralamuk@aol.com please.
    I am not a teacher struggling to link up the activity and assessment so any help on this matter will be great.
    Also I am willing to pay reasonable amount if someone sort out this for me...