1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery Outside Area - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Harvsie, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Hi
    We were recently given a budget to develop our outside area. It is a completely blank canvas so what would you include? I would quite like a digging pit, sand area, painting area, blackboard, playhouse but would like any other ideas that might have worked well in your outside area or that you any that you would like. I have to make a plan quickly but am not sure where to start. Your ideas are much appreciated. Thank you

2. Hi
    We were recently given a budget to develop our outside area. It is a completely blank canvas so what would you include? I would quite like a digging pit, sand area, painting area, blackboard, playhouse but would like any other ideas that might have worked well in your outside area or that you any that you would like. I have to make a plan quickly but am not sure where to start. Your ideas are much appreciated. Thank you

3. Lucky you. You might want to think in terms of having areas for different groupings of children as well as for different activities eg small enclosed corners where two or three children can retreat to play in a little group and larger spaces for running around and being boisterous. Also it would be lovely to incorporate running water in some form. And while you're at it, if you can manage a wooded corner with wind chimes and intrigueing sculptures that would be fantastic too.
    Enjoy!

4. Hi, going through the process myself at the min. Got 3 different companies to come out and they gave me a design which was interesting. prices did vary massively from £15,000 up to £50,000. We are having artificial grass put in over the really exposed muddy areas, a rubber mulch path through the overgrown grass area where we have fruit trees. An adventure area with stumps and a bridge, a climbing wall bit, playhouse, sandpit, storytelling chair and benches, a stage area with poles that have holes in for denbuilding or drapes. A digging area and hopefully planters and greenhouse. A large water play which I borrowed the design, which consists of pipes linked up to the outdoor tap.
    We ended up going with Soverign, brilliant company, been really helpful from the beginning, came and did a site visit last week and were great.

5. Hi, Thank you for the ideas. Don't think i'll be allowed half as much money as that but will def have a look. I've got a few ideas now but still looking for more if anyone has any?