1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery on entry assessment/baseline?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by GemsEYFS, Aug 17, 2011.

1. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

I wondered if anyone has used a good format to baseline the children when they enter in Nursery? I uses one last year that was VERY informative based on name writing, numeral recognition, writing, stroy understanding, cutting, sticking, body parts, positional language and more. But,it took FOREVER to complete it. I just wondered what everyone out there in a Nursery classs is doing? We are due OFSTED very soon so i need be on the ball.
    Could any one give me breif discription of what they use and how you do it practically!

Thank You Gemsx

2. I would also love to know what others are doing because our local authority one is now defunct. Am uaing the development matters statements in planning but have no definitive statements for baseline whcih can be used as data for the CEF - someone must have a good system!
    thanks
    mwm

3. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

any body? please

4. We use a copy of the development matters bands for each child. We observe and talk about the children. We decide which band they are working within. We regard it as a 'broad brushstroke" assessment. We record the results on a grid, showing which section of which band each child is in (just in; working securely within; ready to move on) and writing their names in one of 3 colours, depending on the term of their birthday. If I had my way, we would not assess until later, as I don't believe children are showing what they are really able to do right at the beginning. I think they need a settling in period. This would also give more time to get to know them. However, this is the school system.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://www.egfl.org.uk/export/sites/egfl/categories/teaching/assess/_docs/Ealing-EYFS-PP.pdf

6. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

Hi, Thank you both for your reply!
    MSZ- Would you use that assessment tool alongside childrens individual ROA's or would that combine into one?
    Seems SOOOOOOOOO much paper work to be doing. And Thumbie, I agree, children sdo not show anywhere near what they are acpable of when first entering, we are lucky if they have the confidence to answer thei names in the register without support!

But, we do as we are asked!

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm not in EYs at the moment but personally would always take the route of least paperwork.
    I know my LA has produced an assessment record for 0-5 [​IMG] but I don't think it is available outside the authority

8. bevevans22

bevevans22 Administrator

9. Another brilliant resource from you Bev!!! Would definitely use it if I was still teaching!!

You are a star!!!

10. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

Bev, Thank you so much!
    This is very very clear and linked directly with DM. It would be very clear to see a child accross all areas. Thank you! Just one more question ;-) Would you do this maybe at the start and then again at the end of the year so that you have recorded evidence of progression?

Thank you once more