1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery nurse shortlisting-what qualification should we be looking for?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Juls Radster, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I'm a foundation stage co-ord currently shortlisting for a nursery nurse to cover a 2 term maternity leave. Having read 30 odd applications this afternoon I was amazed at the varying qualifications that the applicants had and wasn't sure which qualifications are suitable for a school based nursery? I have it in my head that they need to be a Level 3 but is it a HND or NNEB or diploma or BA or other acronyms I've never heard of? Has anyone a link to anywhere official that tells us exactly what qualifications we need to aiming for?
    Also during the interview would it be appropriate to ask the nursery nurses to read a book of their choice to a small group in order to see how they respond to the children in the setting?
    Hope someone can help, thanks in anticipation.

2. I'm a foundation stage co-ord currently shortlisting for a nursery nurse to cover a 2 term maternity leave. Having read 30 odd applications this afternoon I was amazed at the varying qualifications that the applicants had and wasn't sure which qualifications are suitable for a school based nursery? I have it in my head that they need to be a Level 3 but is it a HND or NNEB or diploma or BA or other acronyms I've never heard of? Has anyone a link to anywhere official that tells us exactly what qualifications we need to aiming for?
    Also during the interview would it be appropriate to ask the nursery nurses to read a book of their choice to a small group in order to see how they respond to the children in the setting?
    Hope someone can help, thanks in anticipation.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. Thanks for that prompt reply,it was exactly what I wanted!

5. If you can find an NNEB qualified person that would be preferable as they will have had to go through very good training (including more commitment than just turning up to college a day or two per week!) Some level 3 NVQs are ok (only those with massive enthusiasm) but nowhere near an NNEB.
    For an interview activity I would prefer to see an example of them doing a storytime and also interacting during free play - this would be good for seeing if they play face to face with children, join in, follow the child's lead, listen a lot, don't try to steer the children's ideas into their own etc.
    I'd probably also want to know how well they knew the ages and stages of developement so that when they are making observations they know what they are looking for. Maybe ask them to play with a few children for a couple of minutes and collect a post-it observation for a child.

6. As a qualified teacher and nursery nurse I did the btec National diploma in early years and received a triple grade distinction - you can pass merit or distinction. I had very good references from placement all five. When I had interview I had to go into the setting interact with the children and read a whole group story... Hope this helps?

7. I have an NNEB qualification and work in a small nursery. A fellow NNEB left to work in a school and once there was asked to do an NVQ ! I was really surprised as I thought NNEB was held in high regard. Pity things are so complicated, There is a new qualification in place of NVQ now , Level 3 Diploma Children and Young People's Workforce (Early Learning and Childcare) !!!!

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I would employ a NNEB before a NVQ anyday (some authorities have wrongly claimed NNEB is only level 2)

9. I am a Nursery Nurse working in a school nursery and my interview required me to plan two or three short activities. However i wouldn't have minded being asked to read a story or do a short activity.
    I am also an NVQ level 3 trained Nursery Nurse that worked hard for my qualification's, working full time aswell as completing my studies. The reason for doing the NVQ was NOT because of academic ability but due to personal circumstances and being able to do it whilst working. It infuriates me that people see it as a 'lower' qualification.
    Whilst I was training the BTEC course was regarded as the 'better' course. However having had BTEC students at my setting it amazes me that people think this as they knew nothing of child development, how children learn etc and even some qualified BTEC staff are no better.
    My boss admitted that she was wary of employing me because of my qualification but also said that she was glad that she did.
    My point is not to pre judge people over what it say's their qualification is but to see them face to face and make a judgment on your observations of them in your nursery.