1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery Maths Planning- can you help?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Jenny492, Jun 29, 2020 at 8:03 PM.

1. Jenny492

Jenny492 New commenter

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me. I’ve been told that I’m teaching in Nursery next year and it’s the first time I’ve taught in there. I’ve been told I need to plan with a mastery approach within the maths lessons. I understand the mastery having taught other year groups, but feel lost in Nursery.

Does anyone have maths planning they can share for the academic year and I can then adapt. I would be so grateful.

Many thanks
    Jen

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I'd suggest reading the ELGs which come at the end of Reception so you can see where your children will be heading towards. Take a look at the age related statements in Development Matters as a guide to what children need to do at that age.

You can't help them master it if you don't know what they need to do.

3. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I teach nursery and we don't have 'maths lessons' as such.
    We don't have any 'lessons' until the spring or summer term and then only phonics.
    Maths is all taught via play and continuous provision.

Look at 30-50 months for development matters and see what's there.
    Numberblocks is also a fab resource and NCETM has some lessons/ppts linked to numberblocks which are useful.