1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery maths observation

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by svca92, Sep 20, 2017.

1. svca92

svca92 New commenter

Hi,

I've just started teaching my first nursery class - completely unprepared as I only found out the second week into this school year.....
    I'm still finding my bearings, how everything works in nursery & sorting the classroom out.
    However, I have been told that my first lesson obs of this year will be mid October and the focus is maths.

Can anyone shed some light on the expectations of nursery observations? I'm used to year 2 or above so slightly concerned and flapping a little.

Thank you
    X

2. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

Ideally SLT would understand that you support and extend the children's learning as it happens in their play, so they may not see you bringing a child's maths learning on in the space of a 20 minute observation, they would likely, however see the prime areas which should be being focussed on this early in the year anyway.
    Realistically they're probably expecting to see a group time so have a look at the EYFS, decide what the children need as their next steps and plan an activity from there.

hanhep and svca92 like this.
  3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Get out your EYFS and check the maths out. Look at development matters in age bands 30 to 50 and maybe 40 to 60. This will give you a guide to pitch. At this point in the year I'd probably pick a good story or some number songs with props and so a short snappy group session. Then how you have set up the environment to support the maths you have decided to focus on. Paying particular attention to what the adults will be doing. Good luck

svca92 likes this.
  4. svca92

svca92 New commenter

Thank you both for this! Big help! I've been looking for some nursery observation examples but there only seems to be reception.
    My observation is 30 minutes long and starts at 9.15 so more or less as soon as they come into school which is a good thing!

Appreciate the help, thanks!