1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery Manager

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mmoffatt1990, May 3, 2019.

1. mmoffatt1990

mmoffatt1990 New commenter

Hi,

I hope I’m posting in the right place. I’ve been offered a job as nursery manager in a nursery which hasn’t opened yet.

I currently work as a room leader in a nursery and absolutely adore the manager there.

Compared to her...I feel like I know absolutely nothing!

Is there any books/ articles I can read that will help me gain an understanding of what to expect.

To add, I am a qualified teacher with experience in Y1 and Nursery in a school setting and a private setting.

Thanks

2. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Not that I’m aware of. I think joining the early years professional organisations such as NDNA may help. The problem you have is the variation of the job, will you be in ratio, what extra roles will you have, senco, safeguarding, who does the admin, fees are there high numbers of CIN,CP, free places or fee paying? All create a different job.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Ensure you know the EYFS statutory framework, you'd be amazed how many new managers don't have a clue.
    Look at the Ofsted handbook for early years to see what they are inspecting against.
    If this is a new nursery, who recruited you and will they also recruit other staff or is that down to you?
    Will you have admin support or will you gave to do all that side too eg invoices?
    If you can, shadow your current manager to see what things they gave to do. If there is support or training in your LA, take it. They might help you prioritise what you need to do.
    If you can, visit other nurseries to think about how you want to set yours up.
    How big is the new nursery?