1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery lesson observation for interview - help!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by foundationteacher2, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I'm a beginner to posting on this site so hoping someone can help! I've been invited to attend an interview for a Nursery Teacher post on the 10th January. The only information I've had is "Candidates will be expected to lead a 15 minute focus session of their choice". I've got to take a lesson plan with me showing any follow up activities. As I am an NQT, I have fairly limited experience and although all of my placememnts were in Reception, I realise that Nursery is a slightly different level.
    However, I'm really struggling without any more info to go out, such as topic, phonics level etc.
    Does reading a book such as "We're Going on a Bear Hunt" count as a focused activity? It's difficult to know what to do with only 15 minutes! I'm aware that it shouldn't be over complicated or too fussy but at the same time, I want to show that my interaction with the children and possibly get them moving about.
    Any help would be very very much appreciated!
    Thanks

2. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

That would count but it wouldn't give much opportunity for interaction with the children if you just read it out. Also; I'd stay away from Bear Hunt, Hungry Caterpillar and maybe the Gruffalo because they're so popular in nurseries and therefore an obvious choice for interviews. If you want to go down the story route I'd go for a traditional tale which the children are likely to know well and do something a bit more interactive; maybe Little Red Riding Hood and get the children to suggest things to go in the basket to take for grandma; if they suggest cakes you could get them to act out making the cakes or if they suggest fruit could go and pick the fruit?

3. Thank you for replying...I'm in major panic mode! I know what you mean about picking the 'usual' books and I definitely don't want to do something they've seen a million times before. I really like your Little Red Riding Hood idea as it would be good to get the children involved and moving. It's so difficult with just 15 minutes.

4. 15 minutes tends to be the maximum time for keeping children's attention in nursery. Traditional tales are good. I would suggest one in which all the children can join in, so that those who haven't got the gumption to answer questions can participate. They might like 'The Gingerbread Man', they can join in with the refrain and the list of the chasers.