1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery interview

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by missinlondon, Jun 11, 2019.

1. missinlondon

missinlondon New commenter

Hi,

I am a primary teacher but going for a nursery teacher job. So out of my comfort zone. I need to choose a book then a task to match the story.. all to be done in 25 mins.

normally I begin with an objective I’m working to. I’m not exactly sure where the objectives are for nursery. Is this the month to month guidance?

I have a story in mind with various animals that appear on each page.

I thought about getting the children to sequence the order of the animals. However I’m not sure what objective that meets and if it is enough. Also one of the guidance notes is to get the children talking, more talking. I’m not sure if sequencing animals gives enough opportunity for talk.

I’m trying to choose a short book so it’s a quick read then activity.

Also after task... I find it difficult to round off. What sort of plenaries do you do?

Any tips?

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi there. Have a look at the EYFS framework, and then development matters to help you with your objective. Look at speaking, or listening and attention.
    The trick to encouraging talk is to consider your questions. Stay away from closed questions like what colour is this, what animal is this? Does your story encourage conversation? Is there perhaps some less familiar vocabulary in it that you can explain?
    If you are thinking about sequencing, then you want to use language like first, next, last.
    (Sorry not trying to do grandma and eggs thing).
    Your activity would depend on how many children. Do you know that?

3. missinlondon

My first reply.... my only reply.... Thank you.... :)

I am going to read Goodnight Gorilla to the class and have them each have a felt coloured key that corresponds to the same colour cage so they help to unlock the animals and release. I am also going to have an animal that I can attach to the zoo keeper and he will pull these animals behind him all the way to bed without realising. It's a bit of a hash job of lots of ideas at the moment.

zookeeper
    key
    torch

Red cage– gorilla

Pink cage – elephant

Blue cage - lion

Green cage – giraffe

Yellow cage – hyena

Purple cage – Armadillo

4. missinlondon

P.S I am happy for all comments... It may not be obvious to me. . so thanks

5. missinlondon

6. missinlondon

It is for a group of 7 children and will be about 25 minutes on Friday.

Possible question:

What is the gorilla holding?
    Where is the gorilla? Where is the elephant?
    What is the zookeeper holding?
    How is the mouse carrying a banana?
    Who is holding a flashlight?
    What toys do you see inside the elephant’s cage? Etc.
    Why do you think the gorilla opened all the cages?
    Why are the animals following the zookeeper to his house?
    How did the mouse get the banana from this tall banana tree?
    Why do you think the zookeeper didn’t realize that the animals are following him?
    Why was zookeeper’s wife surprised?
    Why did the wife of the zookeeper take all the animals back to the zoo?
    Why can’t zoo or jungle animals live with people?
    How do we know it is night?
    What would you do if the zoo animals followed you home?
    If you could pick one zoo animal to take home, which one would you pick and why?

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What are you hoping the children will learn?
    Look at development matters and see what children need to learn. Also look at 'what to expect when' and get some ideas of environments and adult inputs.

My class are nursery, and reasonably advanced, but I'd not be able to read a story and then discuss this many questions with 7 of them, without at least half being bored and rolling around the floor or saying 'can we play now?.

Mine like bubbles, jumping, racing, building, etc. They aren't keen on sitting for very long.