1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery interview July: what stage will children be at?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by marymoocow, Jul 4, 2011.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We use the development matters statements not the profile points as these are meant for reception. The average nursery child should be working within 40-60m+ but it depends on your catchment. Mine is very deprived and come in at a low level so my average is 30-50 perhaps dipping into 40-60 in some areas and it is only my HA children who get 40-60m. I would choose some from both 30-50 and 40-60. Remember to put in an extension for your more able as this seems to be a key thing at the moment.
    20mins is a long time for nursery so keep it active. Also if my interview lesson was any thing to go by be prepared for them to be very shy and non responsive at first. It so false for both you and them and they are less able to cope with the stranger at this stage.

2. Hi, thanks for this, there seems to be a lot of differing opinions on the matter. I will look into development matters... difficult to find anything online though! Anyway, I was thinking probably positional language would be too difficult, prob more reception age children. So might do likes and dislikes, packing a picnic or something like that. I have a lion puppet to link with the story i was going to read so hopefully the children might respond to him :S I thought 20mins was a long time too, but 26 children is a lot to be active with on the carpet, unless we could do actions to the story i suppose. If you had any suggestions I would be really greatful!! [​IMG]

3. The development matters are on here in the resources section.
    Positional language is fine for nursery age children. I would certainly expect the average 3/4 year old to be able to know basics such as next to, behind, in front, etc.
    My advice would be to base your activity around a book. The book "Whatever next" is great. You could use a big book, have all the props Baby Bear uses, and dress one of the children up as baby bear. Great story and lots of active involvement. If you had time left, you could sing 5 little men in a flying saucer. Great again for active involvement.
    I don't know the story going on a lion hunt. Do you mean going on a bear hunt? I always think that is a bit over used in lesson observations.
    I think that 20 mins is a long time for children to sit on the carpet, but not if they are engaged. They are more than capable of sitting for that amount of time if they are interested and the activity is interesting.
    Another good one for engagement is metal mike from letters and sounds. We did that activity last week in our nursery for a phonics observation and it went down really well. And the activity is already planned for you in the letters and sounds book. There are some great printable resources on ********** (are we still allowed to say that?!) as well.
    Hope it goes well for you...