1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery instead of KS 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rei, May 5, 2012.

1. Rei

Rei

Hi!
    I'm currently a year one teacher ( I have been for the last 5 years) and decided that its absolutely time to change class! I asked to move to year 3 or 4 but have just been told I will be in nursery ( no choice) for a year at least- the current teacher is about to go on maternity and it seems that no one responded to the adverts. I am going to go and talk to the Head on Tuesday as there wasn't really an opportunity for discussion yesterday and I want to reexpress my desire for ks2 asap and why I think I would be suited there.
    Whilst I can see that I will be getting new experience next year, I am worried that moving away from ks2 will make it even harder to get there next year. Plus all my recent thinking has been gearing myself to ks2 and activities and nursery was never a year group I had a particular desire to teach! Any training I go on will be focused on much younger children, and Im concerned that even school insets qand initiatives may not apply to EYFS in the same way.
    Any thoughts or comments gratefully received!

2. Rei

Rei

Hi!
    I'm currently a year one teacher ( I have been for the last 5 years) and decided that its absolutely time to change class! I asked to move to year 3 or 4 but have just been told I will be in nursery ( no choice) for a year at least- the current teacher is about to go on maternity and it seems that no one responded to the adverts. I am going to go and talk to the Head on Tuesday as there wasn't really an opportunity for discussion yesterday and I want to reexpress my desire for ks2 asap and why I think I would be suited there.
    Whilst I can see that I will be getting new experience next year, I am worried that moving away from ks2 will make it even harder to get there next year. Plus all my recent thinking has been gearing myself to ks2 and activities and nursery was never a year group I had a particular desire to teach! Any training I go on will be focused on much younger children, and Im concerned that even school insets qand initiatives may not apply to EYFS in the same way.
    Any thoughts or comments gratefully received!

3. Hi,

I've taught in both EY and KS1 and am moving to KS2 next year.

It is good to get experience across all the phases so some EY experience will look good for future positions.

If however you really don't want Nursery it may be time to move on. Maybe mention to the head that if you don't get KS2 you will look to move on? Depends on how approachable your head is. That may be the push they need to look at your development needs.

Good luck!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Your HT does have the right to put you wherever he or she thinks is in the best interests of the school. If you are the best person to teach nursery, then you will have to go there. Your own needs will be secondary to those of the school.

You could restate why you wanted KS2, but at the end of the day you will have to do as your HT wants or leave.