1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery Help Please

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Senco84, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Senco84

Senco84 New commenter

Hi I am a new senco in a large primary. I have never taught nursery. The nursery staff have flagged up a lot of speech and language issues. We pay for extra sessions but there is no way our therapist could see so many children. How do you deal with this problem in your setting?

Nursery have also flagged a lot of behaviour issues. How long would you give the child to develop before looking into referrals for this?
    Thanks

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

When my own kids had speech therapy the therapist wouldn't do any work with them until they started school. You could ask parents to speak to their doctor but I think they wait because of maturity.
    I would think if the staff continue with talking with the children and modelling good speech. Perhaps the way round it would be to get more training for the staff rather than increasing the therapy for the children. This would enable them to help all the children with their communication and then focus the therapy on those who really need it.

3. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

4. Senco84

Senco84 New commenter

Thanks all