1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery Class ratios, what is safe? When a child's nursery education not valued.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by beetleguese, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Does anyone know what the safe ratios are for a nursery class in a primary school. The EYFS states the ratios are 1:13 and because of this we have now had a member of staff removed from our 40 place nursery which had a 1:10 ratio. Our limit is now capped at 39, so 3 satff with 39 children. However we cannot safely access out outdoor area, have staff doing activities or take breaks very easily with this new limit. Does anyone have any ideas/comments about what we can do. Is this safe? Our nursery children won't really be able to access a curriculum, it will be more like crowd control by the adults. HELP!

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

You are at the legal minimum requirement. Sadly.
    It is bizarre that we still have a 1 to 13 ratio - for three years olds for heaven's sakes!
    And if two of you get tied up - say for example - one on the phone and one changing wet pants, then one person could be left with 37 children.
    Which is just stupendously horrendously awful.
    We must endeavour to do all in our power to narrow the gap, whatever and everything will be given to us to do this - except a reasonable and humane staffing level.
    It is wrong wrong wrong.
    It was just about tolerable when nursery was a 2 and half hour session and then they went home. We could manage that. But now, with full days and dinners and what have you, it is just well nigh impossible.
    Imagine a child minder in your area setting up with 13 three year olds. That would be head line news. But early years teachers do this day in and day out. Awful.
    My sympathies.

3. Same here 1 teacher 1ta with 26 children but to add to the excitement 4 different teaching assistants. Me and the kids don't know whether we are coming or going . Then the head wonders why the 3 year olds are unsettled!

4. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I'm old enough to remember much bigger ratios in nursery and I don't think the children were short changed. When the ratio became 1:15 we thought that was wonderful. There were 45 children, with 1 teacher and 2 TAs. I often took 30 older children for story, while one colleague took 15 younger ones and the other one finished tidying up.
    I know someone who taught 45 reception children with no support, although I'm not sure how much actual teaching took place!

5. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

If you have 39 you need 2 QTS.

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I guess the theory behind it is that a qualified teacher can provide a good standard of nursery education to more children than can a childminder, or level 2/3 pre-school worker!!
    Getting distracted by the toileting or the telephone does rather scupper the theory though. Is there a way round that?

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

EYPS states Where the size of a group of children aged and three and over in a maintained school (except
    reception classes) exceeds 26, it is good practice to assign an additional teacher to the class.
    An
    additional teacher should always be assigned where the group size exceeds 30.
    If, in a registered
    setting, the size of a group of children aged three and over exceeds 26, the ratio requirement of
    one adult to thirteen children will only apply if two members of staff hold either Qualified Teacher
    Status or Early Years Professional Status or another suitable level 6 qualification.

but it is only guidance not statutory for schools to comply