1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

nursery/ childminder- what to expect?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ladybug3, Jan 17, 2011.

1. My LO is 8 weeks old and I have started looking for a nursery/ childminder place for when I return to work. She will be going full time from September when she will be 10 months old so it is a while away yet.
    I went to visit a nursery today. On paper it is the right choice- cost effective as they will do term time only, convenient location etc. However, I really didn't like it! It seemed lovely for the 2 year olds upwards- colourful classroom, early years curriculum etc but the baby area was not really how I expected. The baby room was very, well, depressing really! I know babies cry but there didn't seem to be much happening, all the carers were just sitting around and the sleeping area was in the same room, just behind a screen and really small/ cramped. The babies on the move were just crawling around and one baby had food all over its mouth that hadn't been wiped. Also, the lady said "We change nappies three times a day" and this seemed awfully regimented for little babies!
    I suppose I have two questions really- did you opt for nursery or childminder and why? And does this nursery sound normal and I am just being overly precious with my LO or can baby rooms in nurseries be vibrant, happy places??!

2. I think when it comes to childcare, go with your gut instinct. Baby rooms can and should be vibrant stimulating areas. The staff should take individual baby needs into consideration - changing and feeding generally in line with parents' wishes.

On of my children was in a baby nursery (one morning a week) and it provided all of the above - it was small, but the areas were well-defined and used to optimise the space.

You need to feel sure that your child is in a situation you are comfortable with. I woud suggest either looking for another nursery or explore the childminder option until you find someone you are at ease with. x

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

We decided to put our son with a childminder. I work 0.5, 2 days one week, 3 days the other, and a lot of nurseries won't do this, or they'll charge you for 3 days a week. Plus I drop him off at 7:30 and the nurseries don't open until 8, and we wanted somewhere close to where we live as my husband doesn't drive, so at least he can walk and pick him up if needed.
    I personally prefer the idea of him being with one person responsible for him, and in a home environment. Our childminder can take him out for walks, go to baby groups etc, but in a nursery they're generally stuck there all day. I only visited one nursery, and i didn't like the feel of it at all, although I can't really put my finger on why.
    He's 19 months old now, and i'll be going on maternity leave again when he's 22 months when his little sister is due [​IMG]. I won't put him in childcare while i'm off, so am really looking forward to a year with him! I think when I go back to work after I will consider a nursery.

4. I second the above. I was keen on a childminder and my OH liked nurseries. But when we looked round the baby rooms just looked liked Romanian Orphanages! We found a fab childminder who is brilliant. I would be quite happy for GG to go to nurseries over 2 as I think they look fab then, but as we have a great childminder I'm not sure if we will change.