1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery behaviour help!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by rlleasl2, Mar 29, 2011.

1. to get attention, i generally use the song
    "Everybody do this, do this, do this. Everybody do this, just like me." I touch a part of my body or fold my arms. I get faster, slower, quieter, louder. I continue until all/most of my group are ready.
    If I am waiting to read a story, I read out loud the story but only so that the quiet ones at the front will hear. Then I do false laughs. Usually I get moans of, "I can't see the pictures/I can't hear you." Then I will say that I was waiting for some boys and girls who weren't ready.
    I also use, "Show me your ready by ..." This can be anything, crossing your legs, touching your nose.
    I tend to use my quiet voice and get the ones at the front to join in so it gets louder and louder. Then the children at the back are thinking what's going on.
    I also count to 10 and back using fingers; also asking them to show me a certain number of fingers.
    Clap your hands, encourage the children to join in with the beat.
    I find that it is easier to get children's attention by making it into a game or an action song time. The children who are joining in then can have the privilege of modelling adult behaviour and leading the group!
    I got to go now, but any more ideas that I come up with I will post again :)