1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery baseline assessment

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kipperkendrick, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Hi, we have been creating a baseline assessment in our Primary school Nursery class using development matters, has anyone got a better idea please?

2. Hi, we have been creating a baseline assessment in our Primary school Nursery class using development matters, has anyone got a better idea please?

3. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Our assessment from 0-Reception is through our City LA's tracker. Have a look at my link for further information. We use once a term/every 3-4 months, and the trackers pass from setting-setting/school.
    As everyone uses the same within the LA, it makes assessments fairly standard.

4. Thanks. I'm new to forums, how do I find your link please?

5. May2

May2 Established commenter

Our advisors have just told us to use all info from previous settings and our own knowledge to highlight dev matters in the first 3 weeks to give a 'best fit' After that continue using different colour highlighter.
    Our problem is we only usually get info from one pre school and the children can come from about 6 different settings and childminders.
    I don't think you can see all areas to give a proper judgement that quickly. We have become so target driven now that I feel I almost have to (Dare I say it 'guess', 'make it up' ) to fill these in as we have to put all our data on the system for County every half term. If I haven't seen things and don't tick it off then it shows up on our data that they are below expected level which generally I know they are not as we are in quite a good area.
    I just hate all this data driven nonsense. I'm beginning to wish we could go back to the time before computers!

6. That's just what I have to do, and I really dont feel happy doing it, but I have to provide a baseline for the school. I was just hoping that someone somewhere is allowed to do something that is a true reflection of the children.

7. choralsongster

8. Hi, your assessment was really interesting and we use a similar thing, but what confuses me is...what band do you judge to be "expected" for entry to nursery?
    I think I am making it too high, but some of the children on entry are 4, some just 3.
    For my school to analyse this to put in a format for ofsted you need an expected starting point to judge against!
    Arghhhhhh my heart tells me this is just not the way it should be, but!!!
    Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    Kim

9. choralsongster

When we assess children, we begin by looking at their chronological age band, and see if this best fits. If it is too high, we track back to what they are able to achieve, and the same forwards.
    As our tracker is used across the city, hopefully most kids will already come in to school with their tracker, so we have a rough idea of their development, but will still baseline.