1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery Assessment

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mrst79, Mar 19, 2011.

1. mrst79

mrst79 New commenter

Hi I would just like to ask everyone what systems they currently use to track nursery aged children from entry to exit. I work in a foundation Stage unit,with mixed Reception and Nursery aged children. We have 3 Nursery intakes over the year, September, January and Easter Term (around April). We currently use a system called Flying start 2 which our LEA really likes. Not all schools use this as it has its problems. The first 6 weeks of every term the staff are frantically collecting photos, postits, observations etc to record a starting point for each child. some points on Flying Start have to be taught directly so we have to engineer situations or set up meaningless activities, just to see if a child can do it. Then we spend the rest of the year adding info from our everyday observations until they leave us at the end of Reception. We are in the process of loking to see what's out there and if possible scrap Flying start and use something else. Any thoughts/ ideas would be fab.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Poor little mites aren't even obliged to be in school.

3. mrst79

mrst79 New commenter

I know! Its crazy, some of them have just turned 3 and we have to start watching them like hawks to see what they can and can't do. Our Head hates it because it takes up so much time. She just wants us to teach, not spend the first 6 weeks following children round to see what they can and can't do.