1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nursery and Reception Graduation?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by vancie, May 7, 2009.

1. This was not my idea, but all the other staff did. I have been asked to lead team by Head. I just posted to get some ideas, sorry you think bad idea but got job to do! Thought this was whole idea of forum, not to post negative unhelpful comments.

2. I apologise, vancie.
    Please keep posting and don't be put off by me; there are some kind folk who post here.
    Hope this reply bumps your post up and that somebody will come up with a more helpful response than mine.
    Best wishes.

3. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

Hi vancie

not really sure whether you mean doing a whole graduation ceremony or something but I thought I would add my thoughts, we dont do a ceremony or anything like that but we do use Sparkle's graduation certificates. He does them for reception and year 1 definatly, maybe nursery too. Our kids loved them (with a mini packet of haribo stapled on LOL) and we did it as a well done for learning so much in their first year and wishing them luck into the next class.

I dont think it is necessarily a terrible idea - depends on how you do it.

4. Apology accepted, thanks Hedda Gabler [​IMG]

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Vancie, it's not you, it's the idea.
    I find the idea of little children aping the customs of American* eighteen-year-olds grotesque and repugnant. The children will have absolutely no idea what gowns and mortarboards mean.
    *No offence to EAmerican posters intended. It's an honourable American tradition.

6. I also apologise vancie. One of the things i am working on is giving positive comments or advice rather than shooting people down. sorry again. but as inky says it's not you just the whole idea. any as you say we have a job to do and i am sure we all have something at school that someone else would disagree with. No helpful comments i'am afraid.
    [​IMG]

7. I agree with you Inky, was only joking about gowns! Im thinking about making more of a celebration of the year they've had, remembering visits, funny moments etc. Ive made certificates that we could have as scrolls. Unfortunately my problem was I found out too late about event and has already been put as a "graduation ceremony" on our Parents newsletter. The Parents are very keen. So will try to make it as good as I can for the children.

8. Thanks for apology saz0908 I understand its about the idea not me personally, just been a bad day like we all have x [​IMG]

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

And quite right too, vancie. They should have consulted with you first.

10. just doing a swot chart and added that to my weaknesses.
    Can you show the children the differences between when they started and now. i.e. mark making, height, etc.

11. This is against my better judgement and I still feel that this has little value for the child, but as you have been landed with this I have two ideas.

Do you know this "praise " song, which is often used to celebrate transition for children. It has a jolly melody.
    <a name="OneMoreStepAlongTheWorldIGo">[/URL]<u>One more step along the world I go</u><u> </u> Round the corners of the world I turn,More and more about the world I learn.All the new things that I see You&rsquo;ll be looking at along with me
    And it&rsquo;s from the old

I travel to the new, Keep me traveling Along with you. Also since you say the parents are keen on the "graduation" and I rather think that this "do" is intended for them to celebrated the rite of passage for their child, could the child give the parent a gift;.eg. clay imprint of hand or painted handprint with date. I have seen one somewhere in somebody's kitchen with a sentimental verse on it.

12. That cut and paste of song went all wrong
    Here is the song
    One more step along the world I go
    One more step along the world I go
    From the old things to the new
    Keep me travelling along with you

And it's from the old
    I travel too the new
    Keep me travelling
    Along with you
    Keep me travelling along with you.

Round the corners of the world I turn
    More and more about the world I learn
    All the new things that I see
    You'll be looking at along with me.

And its from the old I travel to the new etc.

13. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

American kids graduate kindergarten. I have photos of my cousin's 5 year olds with mortar boards.

14. I think this is a great idea! something that has happened in every nursery I've worked in. Was hoping you had some ideas as I am in the middle of planning our one and trying to think of new things to do for the day.

15. How about a powerpoint of their time in foundation stage - as a rule photos are one thing we are never short of in Foundation stage. Also nice to see how they have changed. Our year 6 leavers assembly played Never forget by take that along to the power point and Reach for the stars S club 7. Hope your celebration goes well.

16. Unlike all of the negative feedback I think it is a great idea & I can see this post was a long time ago but we have successfully had a graduation for the past four years. I work in an international school in Spain & staff, parents and children love the occasion and I look forward to doing it again this year. I hope it went well for you & you have continued it in your Early Years :)

17. For my reception class this year, the children have decorated their own photo frames, and we have taken a picture of them holding their graduation certificate and put the photo in the frame fro them to keep. Then were just having an end of year party with the children, which links in with our topic for this half term. Hope this gives you some inspiration.