1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nurseries -mobile phone free zones?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Hedda Gabler, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Nurseries should become mobile phone free zones, to protect pupils and staff, says the union Voice.
    The union suggests nursery owners and local authorities consult staff on introducing a no mobile phone policy.
    Tricia Pritchard, senior professional officer, said: "A no mobiles rule would protect children, prevent accusations against staff and reassure parents, many of whom had their confidence shattered by recent high-profile events involving mobile phone cameras."
    The above is a quote from this week's T.E.S. from an article called Mobile free zones.
    http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6023298
    I am confused but smiling.
    Considering that we are urged by the powers that be to photograph these poor children within an inch of their lives and use this as evidence of children's progress and our teaching skills, it would seem now we are being advised to be cautious.
    To be frank if this puts a stop to this silly photo evidence and all that downloading and printing and gets us back to actulally teaching- then I am all for it!
    Bring it on!
    Also if it mean that I can have a conversation with a colleague without her hand bag ringing then it can only be a bonus.

2. Nurseries should become mobile phone free zones, to protect pupils and staff, says the union Voice.
    The union suggests nursery owners and local authorities consult staff on introducing a no mobile phone policy.
    Tricia Pritchard, senior professional officer, said: "A no mobiles rule would protect children, prevent accusations against staff and reassure parents, many of whom had their confidence shattered by recent high-profile events involving mobile phone cameras."
    The above is a quote from this week's T.E.S. from an article called Mobile free zones.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6023298
    I am confused but smiling.
    Considering that we are urged by the powers that be to photograph these poor children within an inch of their lives and use this as evidence of children's progress and our teaching skills, it would seem now we are being advised to be cautious.
    To be frank if this puts a stop to this silly photo evidence and all that downloading and printing and gets us back to actulally teaching- then I am all for it!
    Bring it on!
    Also if it mean that I can have a conversation with a colleague without her hand bag ringing then it can only be a bonus.

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

eek!
    We have to give them mobile phones to play with........................

4. Mobile phones without batteries are fun to play with and relevant in their lives...after all we used to give them old dial type/push button phones.

On the issue of nurseries being mobile phone free, I agree they should be and yes we take thousands of photos of children...but we do not take the cameras into the toilets when changing children!

The issue with mobile phones is that they are so small as to be invisible in a pocket and to protect staff I think a ban should apply...to parents too.
    I think it is sad that a couple of publicised incidents have led to this but as we know those who wish to harm children seek out jobs with them and 'look and sound normal'.
    I'm quite sure the people working alongside those alleged to have taken those photos would have had no inkling of their perverseness.

5. I'm not sure that being mobile-phone free would work at all. There are lots of ways to take and distribute photos of kids.

(I think mums pushing buggies should have their own mobile phone free zones though!)

6. If they ban staff and parents in nurseries from having mobile phones - I won't be doing nursery supply cover again I'm afraid. I rely on my phone to pick up messages during lunch and after school for work bookings, and if I don't get back to agencies quickly - I lose the chance of that work. It's nigh on impossible to get a phone without a camera on it these days as well - it's hardly a matter of easy choice.
    Incidentally - my younger brother went to the school in the country that did the initial high-profile banning of camera phones a good few years ago now (made a lot of the papers at the time). It was very quietly and quickly put on the backburner and he went through school, like most teenagers, with a mobile phone superglued to his person in his pocket (quite how the little dear always managed to afford a better one than myself is beyond me - always rolling in money that one).

7. Have you seen the size of some cameras now, and as somebody has said already it is not that difficult to misuse the digital image at a later date? It does not have to be a mobile phone with camera facility.
    I am not a great photo taker as evidence as you probably know if you have read my posts before.
    If I take photos for school of children, I often use my own camera and use my own computer at home to download and print.

This is all very innocent- just a matter of time management and having better equipment at home and more time to do it. I would never leave the classroom until after dark if I stopped to do this process on school premises.
    Once on my computer I very seldom delete- just in case I need them later or because I can't be bothered.
    However, I wonder how many of us do the same as me and have photos on their personal computers at home of chidlren in the class.
    It is all quite innocent and plausible isn't it but is it putting us at risk of false accusation.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

My mobile phone is always in my bag in a cupboard always on silent and I'm often in trouble with my family because I rarely check it until I get home. Really I carry it for an emergency (breakdown on route type) and think that there is no need for staff to be carrying mobiles around with them.
    Like inky I have photographs of children on my home laptop (in fact the school web site it there) but I prefer to work at home rather than stay in school late.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

We'd get clobbered if we did that at my school, Hedda. Not only that, but I'd really resent the expense.
    I smiled too at the idea of a mobile ban. Surely, to be consistent, it should only be enforced with people who have not been CRB checked....

10. Inky- do you have a policy on it or are you just using common sense. ?
    I feel uncomfortable about this and avoid it if possible. The trouble is there are not adequate facilities or manpower to do it at school.

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

sorry inky meant Hedda

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

We have a strict policy that's been put in place by our LEA.

13. Thanks Inky
    What do others do?

14. Hi, any chance you can email the policy? I am going to implement a no phones policy in foundation after reading an article in EYE magazine.

Clair
    cja@allardphotography.com

15. Thongy1

Thongy1 New commenter

Why should I give up my rights just because of the wrongs of others? Sorry, but with two terminally ill parents,my phone is switched on at all times. And besides - my camera is SMALLER than my phone. And what about ipods...they can video, too?!

16. I don't know that it is a right to have mobile phone in the classroom- how quickly things have changed.
    I have been amazed that the mobile phone has crept into classrooms. I don't think that I have been to a meeting with some colleagues where the phone has not buzzed etc etc. I don't think that any of these call were of the urgent nature that Thongy describes- mainly seemed to be from teenage children wanting parents' attention.
    To be frank if I am responsible for children how could I possibly deal with a life and death situation over the phone and manage a class.
    At a first aid course it was suggested that it is necessary to have a mobile phone to hand for emergencies in the classroom if there is not a land line extension or if one is away from the main buildinf in a free flow set up.. If that is the case then perhaps schools should supply them, then the nature of calls and activity could be monitored..

17. I'm with you on this one. Besides are we not forgetting that the type of people that want to take indecent photos of children are criminals and are hardly going to take any notice of some lame policy adopted. It appears these policies are just appearing as a bit of peace of mind to parents and a seen to be doing something from leadership and governors. I don't think anyone has really thought the process through and looked at the technology advances these days.