1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nurse Direct

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Dec 19, 2015.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

TRAINEE NURSES TO PLUG STAFFING SHORTAGES

An army of trainee nurses are to be deployed in hospitals in an attempt to plug staffing shortages.

The ‘nursing associates’ will undergo two years of on-the-job training and will help nurses with basic tasks. Ministers hope to create up to 1,000 new posts and will offer the trainees starting salaries of £19,000. But unions said they should not be a ‘cheap’ way of replacing qualified nurses.

Just one of the 400 announcements made by the government on the day they broke up for the Christmas hols. It all makes very interesting - if not at all surprising - reading.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-shockingly-cynical-ploy.html#ixzz3ulTLiWRZ

aspensquiver likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So is this to be the solution to the teaching retention/recruitment crisis?

Maybe 10,000 school leavers will be trained up... no need to waste time and money on degrees.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We have them already, @lanokia.

Hardly any TAs at my last school had even a GCSE to their name. Some of them were very good at various aspects of the job. Not saying they weren't. But it's happened already - the future.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

This sounds like a return to the state enrolled nurses that existed prior to the mid 90s. SENs had a two year on the job training, but couldn't be promoted unless they took the more demanding training required of state registered nurses and were offered a job as one.

As with a number of NHS jobs, changes in the qualification requirements was seen as a way of improving the career structure. We ended up with highly qualified nurses who feel it beneath them to carry out basic nursing duties such as making beds and wiping bums, which the SENs were traditionally expected to do.

InkyP likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

6. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

I don't see why all nurses need to have a degree.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

They don't unless their responsibilities involve prescribing drugs etc. It comes as a consequence of altering the career structure so that those at the top can justify higher salaries than were possible before.

8. ninenotes

I wonder if there's a connection between superbugs and nurses having degrees. They say its also because cleaning has been contracted out but is it because nurses with degrees think basic tasks are somebody else's job?

9. grumpydogwoman

OK, here I go with 'it's not like it was in my young day'.

I saw quite a lot of hospitals as a patient (60s and 70s) and my mother had been a nurse and returned to it when I was well in my teens.

I don't remember anything but good care. The odd doctor would not have what was termed 'a good bedside manner' and that was frowned upon but rare. Nursing was excellent. As was hygiene.

My mother retired about 1985. She was SRN and sister in a small geriatric hospital. She was universally respected and, frankly, a right tartar. If her staff hadn't been exemplary then I'd have heard about it. Her staff were SENs and auxiliaries. That worked.

What I've seen of wards these days? You'd have to admit me unconscious. There's no other way you'd get me in there. I don't know why standards have declined so much. I'd be interested in people's thoughts. And experiences that run counter to mine

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I know many older (as in more experienced) nurses who would agree with this. Many non-academic but dedicated nurses are also excluded from the profession now.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. ninenotes

Thankfully I don't have any experience as a patient. There were 2 nurses in my PGCE year, both male nurses, who gave up before the end of the first term because it was too hard. They went back to nursing. Don't know what conclusions we can get from that.