1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

numicon

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CB123, Mar 21, 2012.

1. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Thanks for the responses. Think I need to get some for the school I'm in. My school is nursery to year 6. Have people used it in all years or is it mainly for ks1?

2. I love it too!
    I went on some training which was okay but nothing that isn't in the file. There are loads of videos of how to use it on Youtube which might be useful. We use it mainly in EY & KS1 but some intervention groups in KS2 use it regularly too.
    Something about how it looks and feels really appeals to my class and it is very versatile. I have a visually impaired child too and it is his favourite thing to use (so he told me y.day!)

3. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

We use numicon in our school but when it was first introduced it wasnt used properly. We were told to use it as the only resource and we had to get rid of everything else. We were told to use it as a 'scheme' which is not its intention (I have been on training etc). The children became so bored of it that they used to groan when the numicon brought out. Since then we have a new maths co-ordinator and it is now being used as an intervention only for all year groups. This is working much better. When used properly I think it is a valuable resource. Just a shame that it wasnt introduced to our school properly.

4. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

You are wrong actually fruit_bat. Numicon is intended for quality wave 1 teaching although a lot of schools only use it for wave 2 and 3.
    Numicon now has its own intervention programme for those who only want it for their SEN children.

5. We love Numicon too. We use it in FS and KS1 alongside our other maths equipment. The children have free access to it, so choose when to use it. It is also used it as a focus in our maths interventions in KS1. They have been using it in KS2 in their interventions, but are now keen to use it more in lessons.

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Do you think that putting one piece on top of another and seeing which holes are not covered (eg. put a 5 on top of a 7 and see that two holes stay uncovered) adequately covers the concept of subtraction?
    It's just about OK for an adult who already understands varies different ways of attacking the concept of subtraction, but if this is your only experience of subtraction it's a bit baffling. No doubt the manual and the training provides a better method than I have stated here - I've never used the stuff, just looked at the catalogue. I've never been tempted to get it out for an intervention. There's plenty of other things in the world than numicon, it strikes me as an expensive and short term fad. What about dividing? It's not like you can easily divide with it either. I really do think it's a badly thought out piece of kit, but it appeals to children, so hey ho, let's spend all that money on it.
    It must be hard to dream up a new piece of maths equipment for primary schools that will sell like hot cakes, and they have cracked it!!
    I strongly feel that for a school short of money there is a wide variety of equipment one could purchase for a much lower cost that would better illustrate the concepts one is trying to teach at this age, and give them hands on practical maths.

7. On the basis of just seeing numicon I would have said the same as you, mystery. I wouldn't have ordered it and wouldn't have seen value in it. However, the school I work in now already had it and I was then trained to use it. I don't use it as a sole resource but I do find it very useful. My children (Y1) have a very solid understanding of number bonds and the value of numbers. It is very useful for addition and place value can be demonstrated well. The link between multiplication and division is explicit so it is useful in that way for division, particularly if you start to use the rods as well (cuisenaire). I agree it isn't useful for subtraction when taking away but it is useful for subtraction as finding the difference. It's also been great in helping children see how much different coins are worth as they associate each coin with the matching numicon piece.
    It is still a difficult decision if money is tight and if you do buy it you will need to invest time in staff training to ensure it is used effectively.

8. The first method is effective for learning about difference in relation to subtraction Mystery10. I agree there are other types of equipment to use in maths, and I think any good teacher would and does use them. As someone has already mentioned using just Numicon bored the children, but using any one thing over and over would have the same effect.
    You can divide with Numicon, 12 divided by 4 - get 12 (10+2 piece) how many four pieces will it take to cover it?
    I was a complete sceptic and mine sat in the drawer for a few months until I was told off as school had spent a lot of money! Once I looked for opportunities I was surprised at how useful it was and how much the children understood from using it (alongside other resources)

9. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Yep, I know I'm being cynical, but there's so much you can use for maths it seems a shame to me to spend so much dosh on Numicon. [​IMG]

10. I do think you need to try it Mystery to understand how good it can be. It is such a visual way of seeing number. You wouldn't use it in isolation, but together with other apparatus. It helps children to really see a number, understand odd and even, number bonds etc in a way that other apparatus doesn't. I don't see it as a fad.

11. CB123

CB123 New commenter

My head has agreed for me to buy some numicom to trial in a class. WOuld people recommend I get the FS pack or a KS1 pack or is there any other pack you would suggest getting to trial it?