1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numicon

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sallysparrow, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Hi
    Has anyone out there got experience of Numicon? We are about to get involved and I was wondering if anyone thinks it's the best thing since . . . or is it simply another naff idea that has has incredible marketing and will be next years chip's wrapper?

2. Hi
    Has anyone out there got experience of Numicon? We are about to get involved and I was wondering if anyone thinks it's the best thing since . . . or is it simply another naff idea that has has incredible marketing and will be next years chip's wrapper?

3. Will watch this thread, as I'm thinking of spending a large portion of my Maths budget on it! Our Primary Maths Consultant seems to think it's fab....?
    Opinions greatly received!

4. Hello,
    I've used Numicon since it was first produced and I think it's worth investing in. I use it for ordering, partioning, introducing teen numbers, symmmetry, number sentences ..... It's out in my room almost everyday. The numberlines that come with it and the pegs and boards are great too. Our trainer was amazing and I think that helped.
    Good Luck
    P.S. I've used it in FS and KS1

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I was sceptical at first but tried it with my reception children. We have one or two adult-led sessions a week with it and I find it very useful for encouraging children to use mathematical language.
    We also have it available for children to use freely and this is very good for getting the required observations for EYFSP. Yesterday one of my children started collecting '5' plates which she decided to add together. This led to a conversation about adding by 'counting on'. Today she did this again spontaneously using 'counting on' to add. She then went on to do the same thing with '6' plates, then '7's. She started volunteering information like "four sixes make 24" and "ten lots of ten make 100". Brilliant for the Child Initiated evidence we need in Early years.

6. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Totally agree that Numicon is a must-have resource. It complements other images/resources such as base 10, Dienes, bead strings and bundles of straws.
    I find it a great image for such things as ordering, place value, odd and even numbers, equivalence, repeated addition, number bonds ...
    It does have its limitations though - not the best image for subtraction and if you want to go over the hundred boundary other resource would work better.
    The 'extras' such as Numicon number lines, pegs and boards, balance scales are great too (the plates weigh what they're worth).
    Carrie [​IMG]

7. springy

springy New commenter

Numicon has helped so many of the children in our school. It promotes discussion about number and encourages the children to use appropriate vocabulary. Make sure that you get the proper training. It is well worth it! Have a look on utube - there are some good video clips.

8. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I haven't had the training (new to a school that uses it) but I used it the other day to teach doubling to Y1 - they loved it, all of them were so engaged, I couldn't believe it! I thought it was just overhyped stuff but having seen the kids use it I do think it's good. Couldn't see how to use it for halving though unfortunately, and I don't think it's great for subtracting as mentioned above.
    I think it comes with a booklet of activities you could do with a small group as well.

9. pjhewett

pjhewett New commenter

I absolutely love Numicon - have just used in Y 3/4 class to reinforce the concept of number.

The teaching guide for kit 3 (Y3) is very clear and allows for some philosophical discussions about why we need numbers, does it matter if you count in 1s 2s or 3s etc.

An issue is that the older children who have not used it before see it as only for low achievers or babies.

I plan to surprise them next week by using it for algebra!

10. Yes, it's FAB!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I use numicon regularly at my school up to Year 6. We were doing fractions today - very visual. I have my own set for my son who is not the world's best at maths and he likes playing games with it. I took a set to his school but trying to get them to listen to ideas is like..........
    I think it's a good resource when used appropriately.

12. Thank you all so much for all your comments.
    Has anyone got any negatives to share - hard to believe it's ALL good [​IMG]
    We will probably be going ahead with it but is there anything i need to be aware of?

13. thank you all for your comments.
    it all sounds really positive - which is great but i would also be interested in anyone that has any negatives to add - however minor.
    thanks again
    Ooops! just seen my first comment - silly laptop told me it had been unsuccessful!

14. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Well I had it out for 40 mins and 1 piece managed to go missing.......!
    To be honest, I haven't settled down to read all the literature yet, it's fairly bulky.
    I would say it looks a bit KS1-y, as mentioned above some kids further up the school who aren't used to it may think it's only for low achievers. This is probably only an issue if said kids are used to only the LA kids using practical equipment. I'm a big fan of even older higher ability kids using practical stuff to help them, but I know some more traditional schools/teachers might think it only helps younger or less able kids.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I use it for KS2 - only last week I used it to reinforce halving numbers and halving odd numbers. Lots couldn't believe you could halve an odd number!
    Used it for division - very obvious if you have 92 divided by 4 say to do the tens first and then figure out how to share what's left. You can get a lot of conversation about why doing 4 groups of 20 is quicker than 10s and this leads to chunking.
    It's visual and big. I am a big fan of older children using equipment if they need to.

16. It's brilliant! I'm maths manager at my school and in my class the SEN TA works with our very low ability (level 1c-2c) using Numicon daily. Results have shown children have made progress already since the introduction of Numicon, so definitely would recommend! :)

17. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I'm not a fan of numicon, but I'll admit I've had no training! I just feel its set out in such a rigid way that it's then hard to use any other resources. For example my TA loves it, and has used it with a particular child. I then used multiilink and he couldn't do it, because it wasn't set out like numicon. I'm looking at plans for next week whereby we're finding the missing number in a number sentence. I can see how numicon can help but I'm not convinced that it will help the, understand what they are doing and why they are doing it

18. Thanks fruitloops86 - must say that is a concern of mine. My school has very poor maths levels. the head is being strongly advised by the LA to go down this route but i can't help wonder how the chn will move on from using the apparatus to a more abstract way of working that they will clearly need to do at some stage.
    BUT - there are a lot of people on here saying it's really good. not sure what to say to the head now. I don't think it would be my choice but not sure if i am just prejudiced against these kinds of things having seen so many come and go over the years andonly the traditional methods stay constant.

19. We use it alongside the multilink, diennes etc, so it is another way of looking at something and available for the children to use. I think it is important for the children to be familiar with different equipment and this is what was recommended to us.

20. Fruitloops86 points out the biggest downside of any new resource - you need to have the underlying concept explained to you. I have ensured all classes (R-6) have a set or shared set of numicon - for upper KS2 is supports time, fractions, quantities of fractions, equivalent fractions, etc. You need to get the grasp of the underlying concept, and then you see how it works. My staff haven't been forced to use it, its there to support the children. If they want it - it should be there. Like all upeer KS2 elements its a bridge for those who haven'ts got it. For KS1 it helps build the bridges strongly. Where are you based? if you were local to me, i would be happy to come and demo it for you (I'm a senco and curerntly year 2, who's used numicon with mostly KS2 and been a teacher for over 11 years,)