1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numicon

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by kanddd, Jan 7, 2012.

1. We use it a lot,
    We use it for all levels of numeracy. Thought it originally for lower abilites, but have begun to use it for everyone. Children really enjoy it.

2. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

It is used in our school for lower ability children and our children love it to as do I to be honest.

3. We use Numicon at our school. Children love it, most of us TAs do, few of the teachers still to be converted...[​IMG]

4. Our main argument is planning time...........I have a completely full timetable, as do most of my colleagues.....when are we meant to fit this in???!!!!

5. not too sure what you mean. It works within the lesson.

6. Nope, not in our place it doesn't. We are all using it as an intervention program..........teachers know little about it....yet!

7. If you have the kits available in your school (which I'm sure you do) then you can use the lesson plans from the kits! I have to use Numicon as an intervention tool for lower ability pupils. The lessons are all written and you just teach them from there and add your own spin on it! Only downside lots or resources to make but once there done you constantly re-use them! Hope this helps.

8. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

I use it a lot in KS1. We have daily numeracy groups for 10 mins going over concepts that have been covered in class but children still need practice with. For the last couple of weeks my group were finding it difficulty in 'doubling mentally', so we used it daily looking at double first to 10 using numicon and numbers side by side. Eventually removing the numicon then the numbers so they were recalling from memory. Actually advanced to doubling up to 30 by memory.
    This week we are using it to match the value of coins (using it alongside coins) Children can see that the smallest coin is not the least value which some of the year one's get mixed up with.
    Have used it for place value. I just think the visual effect is great for children understanding concepts that they are finding hard. The kits have some great ideas in booklet form but once you are used to it you can think of your own ways of using it.

9. I've had some training on using Numicon today and can't wait to see if it helps some of the children I know that struggle with place value and counting on in tens. I just hope my enthusiasm doesn't get squashed tomorrow at work :/

10. I used the shapes to demonstrate finding half, quarter etc to an EAL child who is fairly new to us.........used this in their 'responding to marking' session......

My main argument here is more and more is being put upon us as TA's........we are effectively 'teaching'...........it would be nice to have some sort of recognition for all this extra workload. : }

11. so agree

12. Grolta

Grolta New commenter

13. thanks. : )