1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numicom for upper key stage 2

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by ERU, May 28, 2012.

1. ERU

ERU New commenter

Has anyone got much experience of Numicom with G and T pupils (e.g. level 5/6 in year 6)? I'm developing its use in my school and trying to encourage/train teachers how to use it. I'm unsure whether I should expect the year 6 teacher of the higher group to use/try it (i've used it successfully with a lower group), she's very reluctant to use it! I have bought the investigation book and it seems pretty good... What are people's opinions please??

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Why do you feel the need to expect anyone to use it? If you can see and demonstrate its usefulness then people will use it. Otherwise, they won't, and why should they?

Incidentally, personally I think that by year six most children should be working confidently with abstract concepts without the need for apparatus. Often children are rushed too quickly away from using concrete materials, but there is a risk of going too far the other way!

3. ERU

ERU New commenter

Point taken and thanks for your response. We definitely don't have enough practical maths going on.I don't think its as simple as people seeing its usefulness and then using it. I think you need to have a go to then be able to know. In terms of expecting people to use it, its more a case of expecting teachers to use practical equipment - definitely in KS1, lower KS2, SEN, but I am questioning its usefulness in upper key stage 2 (although my feeling is I'm sure there must be!!). I don't think its a case of assuming children have a concrete understanding of abstract concepts by KS2, end of. If that was the case, then we would have no underachievement. Even G and T are still developing mathematical understanding.