1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Numeracy

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by kmahmood, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Ive been asked to implement a numeracy focus task during the year 8 tutorial sessions (1 day a week- 25 mins lesson)
    Any ideas, resources or general tips welcome!
    many thanks

2. Ive been asked to implement a numeracy focus task during the year 8 tutorial sessions (1 day a week- 25 mins lesson)
    Any ideas, resources or general tips welcome!
    many thanks

3. (1) Have you asked the person who deligated this what they are looking for?
    (2) What level of ability are the kids? How many are there?
    (3) What experience do you have of teaching/tutoring/supporting?
    (4) What resources are there? (whiteboard etc)

4. Hi,

Ive been asked to do the same thing. My ability range is L3 to confident in most of L7. Although we have resources like IWBs Ive been asked to produce booklets for the students to work through. I am finding it aqward putting something together. I produced mathematical problem solving booklets for the interim last term but need to put something together for next term now.

5. For me numeracy is more stripped down and raw than problem solving in maths.
    Rote learning, repetition and basic 4 operations work is IMO ideal for short periods of time with isolated groups.
    I also think its important for some pupils to view numeracy and maths as different subjects.
    One is the less exciting subject that gives you the skills to be good at the more exciting one.

6. September

September New commenter

We use the starter of the day website and have one 15 minute registration per week dedicated to it on a whole school level. It has been well received by students and staff. I do agree with the previous post that numeracy and maths need to be viewed differently.

7. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I couldn't agree more -this is one of my soapboxes. As an analogy, carpentry is more than banging in nails and sawing wood, but without those skills you won't get far. A DT lesson that consisted purely of banging in nails would be seen as irrelevant but one that used that skill to build something would not. Numeracy is important but MATHS is about learning to apply those numeracy skills thoughtfully.

*pub bore gets back in seat*

8. I was thinking along the lines of the following

Week 1- Timetables- review and consolidate

Week 2- Addition & Subtraction

Week 3- Multiplication & Subtraction

Week 4- Place value, reading & writing numbers

Week 5- Time, reading charts etc

Week 6- Money

Any other topics you think i should include please let me know, tips, links and general advice welcome!!!!

9. I have agreed with our head to take on the 'numeracy across the curriculum ' role but on the understanding that I redefine the schools understanding of 'numeracy'. Like others I take the view that numeracy is a generic tool to be used in all areas - mathematics being only one. The same can be said for literacy and English.

10. A good starter using the IWB is ten quick questions. Do a search on the internet for free to use version of tenQQ.

11. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

is one week really enough to review and consolidate the times tabels, that just sounds like ticking the box but not actually embedding any learning
    I think you could spend an entire term or even year just on times tables.
    Especially if you extend to the inverse (division facts) I did this last year with my year 5 class and the change to divisions really put the breaks on until they had practiced it. It then meant that when we did the bus stop method to infinite decimal places they were able to progress accurately and quickly.
    then you can extend to multiplying/dividing by 10/00/1000.....